Pull type rotary cutter question

/ Pull type rotary cutter question #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
I was looking at a pull type rotary cutter and never having used anything besides a traditional 3pt style, I was wondering if anyone could help.

When using the 3pt style, the PTO shaft stays in in a straight line behind the tractor. I like the idea of a pull type mower, but does it cause any problems when you are turning with the PTO running or does the u-joints pivot without a problem.

I see the highway mowers all the time doing this so I guess it would not be a problem, but it just seems like it would be a little bit of an issue.

If anyone has any other comments about pull types, please don't hesistate to share.

Thanks

Paul

/ Pull type rotary cutter question #2  
The u-joints pivot without an issue. Not a problem. If you turn, or back-up and "buckle" the mower (like a trailer) so that the PTO is at something like 90* you'll get some vibration and clattering. Usually they'll turn to a maximum angle of 80 degrees though. Often the rate-limiting factor is that the driveline shaft sleeve may hit the lift arms on the 3-pt hitch first. Some people actually take those off. Unfortunately I only have experience with a pull-type mower and not a lift type. I have a 10' pull-type rotary cutter.

/ Pull type rotary cutter question
Thanks Glowplug ... that answers my question. Similiar to the other bx using a 5' bush hog, since the weight factor of the cutter is right at the practical limits of the tractor ... I am leaning towards making it into a pull type.

/ Pull type rotary cutter question #4  
Hi BX24,
I have always used a pull type cutter to mow some pasture, a lane between fields, and water-ways. In the past I have used an IH "M" tractor (no live PTO). Recently I bought an L3830 (still have the "M"), and thought I would try the pull type cutter on the new Kubota. It worked great. I put a draw-bar between the two lower links to pull the mower, and adjust the height. The one thing you must watch is how high you lift the draw-bar. You are limited by the PTO shaft which is ABOVE your mower hitch.
Turning is no problem for the PTO shaft, as mentioned by Glowplug. Backing is just like with a trailer, don't cut real short.
The live PTO on the L3830 made it very nice to use. I set the PTO rpm at just above 500, and then controlled ground speed with the GST. In rougher spots I just shift down, and in smooth areas I ran in 8th gear with ease.
I have considered a 3pt. mower in the past, and might try one some day, but for now the pull type is just fine.
KW