Pulling a lawn roller with a JD Zero Turn mower

/ Pulling a lawn roller with a JD Zero Turn mower #1  

CCSO5514

Tractor
John Deere 4066R
Has anyone got any experience and/or advice regarding pulling a lawn roller with a JD Commercial 72" mower? If so, how did you attach it to the mower?

/ Pulling a lawn roller with a JD Zero Turn mower #2  
Deere has hitch kits in the accessory section. Terrain, weight of the roller and machine capacity all need to be factored in for safety's sake and to ensure that you are within the capabilities of the machine.

/ Pulling a lawn roller with a JD Zero Turn mower #3  
A roller may be a little heavy for a zero turn unless it is a smaller one. I think the Deere Z900 series are rated for 400lb max with a 40lb tongue weight. You may also need front weights to keep the nose on the ground. As far as pulling it, or any attachment, Deere sells a hitch kit but it's flimsy. I bought one of these instead:

It comes with u-bolts for the Z700 series but the bolt holes on the plate line up with the Z900 series bumper bolts. You can use it to pull wagons and other attachments but you can also use the 1" square receiver to add some other things like a tool carrier or anything else you can rig up!

If you want a really beefy one try this. It's expensive but built better and will accept standard 1-1/4" hitch parts:

Last edited:
   / Pulling a lawn roller with a JD Zero Turn mower #4  
Being particularly careful when going down hill as the roller will want to go faster. The danger is then a jack knife and then who-knows what is next. But it won't be good.

I have a 750# roller and pull with my jd455. Always prepared to accelerate and keep ahead of the roller going down hill, not allowing it to push nor the rear wheels of the 455 to lose traction. But for the most part, try to avoid having the roller in a position to push me down hill.

It is that season, with the frost just out and the lawn still damp to wet.

/ Pulling a lawn roller with a JD Zero Turn mower #5  
Has anyone got any experience and/or advice regarding pulling a lawn roller with a JD Commercial 72" mower? If so, how did you attach it to the mower?
In my opinion a 2wd ZT does not have the traction to pull one of these unless on totally level ground. Especially, I would not want to go downhill with one being pulled.

/ Pulling a lawn roller with a JD Zero Turn mower #6  
I pull 900# roller with my X540 but my yard is also flat maybe 2 foot elevation change flat.

Like a trailer pulling usually isn’t the problem controlling and stopping is.

/ Pulling a lawn roller with a JD Zero Turn mower #7  
I'm pretty sue they use Hydro Gear transmissions and excess heat from overworking them is their number one killer. If it was me, I would not. You don't even want to know what a new HG trans cost.