Pulling steering wheel part 2

/ Pulling steering wheel part 2 #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
OK, I have tried all the suggestions except lossening the nut and driving it. Already have all the connections behind the dash apart and the dash just waiting for the wheel to come off & don't want to put it all back together.

So, now I am down to cutting the wheel off. What's the best way to go about this without damaging the steering column or the splined shaft?

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

/ Pulling steering wheel part 2
OK, I have tried all the suggestions except lossening the nut and driving it. Already have all the connections behind the dash apart and the dash just waiting for the wheel to come off & don't want to put it all back together.

So, now I am down to cutting the wheel off. What's the best way to go about this without damaging the steering column or the splined shaft?

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

/ Pulling steering wheel part 2 #3  
If you are pretty sure you want to cut it off I would suggest cutting the spokes first. Then get the hard rubber or plastic material off the hub. If you have an acetylene torch you could heat it then hammer on it. Some old timers use candle wax to remove rusted nuts by applying the wax to the heated nut and bolt. It gets sucked into the threads. Otherwise you could use a hacksaw and cut into the hub in a couple places parallel to the shaft, stopping before you get to the shaft. Can you sacrifice the old panel and get a long punch or bolt to hit the hub from below?

/ Pulling steering wheel part 2 #4  
If you are pretty sure you want to cut it off I would suggest cutting the spokes first. Then get the hard rubber or plastic material off the hub. If you have an acetylene torch you could heat it then hammer on it. Some old timers use candle wax to remove rusted nuts by applying the wax to the heated nut and bolt. It gets sucked into the threads. Otherwise you could use a hacksaw and cut into the hub in a couple places parallel to the shaft, stopping before you get to the shaft. Can you sacrifice the old panel and get a long punch or bolt to hit the hub from below?

/ Pulling steering wheel part 2 #5  
My 5", $6.48 gear puller from Advance Auto Parts and a 12" adjustable wrench pulled my Yanmar steering wheel with no problem. There are numerous ways to cut the wheel off, if you must. Start with a hack saw or die grinder with a cut off blade and finish up with a Dremel tool with a reinforced cut-off wheel.

/ Pulling steering wheel part 2 #6  
My 5", $6.48 gear puller from Advance Auto Parts and a 12" adjustable wrench pulled my Yanmar steering wheel with no problem. There are numerous ways to cut the wheel off, if you must. Start with a hack saw or die grinder with a cut off blade and finish up with a Dremel tool with a reinforced cut-off wheel.

/ Pulling steering wheel part 2 #7  
Steering puller wouldn't work on mine. No threaded holes. Couldn't use a gear puller, bottom of wheel was round. Finally got it off by spraying PB Blaster on it eveytime I went by it for a week. Took a hammer and hit the nut while a helper pulled up on the rim and it finally came off.

Eugene

/ Pulling steering wheel part 2 #8  
Steering puller wouldn't work on mine. No threaded holes. Couldn't use a gear puller, bottom of wheel was round. Finally got it off by spraying PB Blaster on it eveytime I went by it for a week. Took a hammer and hit the nut while a helper pulled up on the rim and it finally came off.

Eugene