Pulling up fence posts?

/ Pulling up fence posts? #1  

Radly53

Tractor
Kubota B7800
I need to pull up around 110 cedar fence posts they are set 4 to 6 feet deep in rocky soil. The posts are round with bark on them. What's the best way to get them out of the ground so I can use them again.
A little back ground I'm getting the fencing for free. I'll be setting up a horse barn at my house, about 1 1/2 hr away from were the fence is. So it will a pain to get my tractor over there. The fencing was installed 2 years ago, and in great shape. Any ideas on how to get the posts out?

Thanks

Stephen

/ Pulling up fence posts? #2  
If you cant get your tractor to the location- you could use a "Handy Man" jack to remove the posts- Or borrow / rent a FEL from someone :)

/ Pulling up fence posts? #3  
Rent a hydraulic post puller-some are manual some gas operated. Last I saw the were some 75-100/day. next door neighbor pulled about 60 4x4 cedar 4' down and set in concrete in one day.

/ Pulling up fence posts? #4  
might be worth seeing what a mini excavator rental would run you or see if some on nearby has a decent sized FEL.... I think a handy man jack would get old after 5 posts or so and you want it done.

/ Pulling up fence posts? #5  
If the entire fence line is drivable by tractor just take your B7800 over and use the loader to pull them. Wiggle them first, wrap a chain around low and pull them up. Have a ground person available to make the operation more efficient. Really can't imagine why one would put a fence post 6' down. I use old power poles cut to 16' and only put them down 5' max and they are solid as a rock. What is the diameter of these fence posts?

/ Pulling up fence posts? #6  
I have neighbors that use 1 of the lift arms and a chain on the tractor 3 point. Lot stronger pull than the loader. Ken Sweet

/ Pulling up fence posts? #8  
I use my skid steer without the bucket on. It's a one man operation as you pull up close to the post, stand up, take 2 - 3 wraps on the post, sit back and raise the boom. Wrap chain from bottom of post toward the top. This more or less locks the chain in place. You will need an attachment point on the boom. My skid steer has weld on chain hooks on the cross piece on the boom. After all are pulled, I pick the posts with fork attachment and place on a trailer. Front loader would work as well, but as pointed out in an earlier post would require a ground man.

/ Pulling up fence posts? #9  
A V type piece of metal with a negative relief on the inside edges, bolted to the front bucket would eleminate the need for a ground person. Ken Sweet

/ Pulling up fence posts? #10  
If your a one person operation, take your chain saw to them and cut close to ground level. Then if you have a brush hog, run over them a few times.

No holes to fill. :)

And yes, I did this on my fence line. I burned the remaining pieces, and scarfed the wire and barbs from the pile. :) :)