Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow

/ Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #131  
   / Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #132  
As John_mc said, the other issue is that if they submit an insurance claim and their insurance company thinks that you damaged their car in pulling it out (ie: your hook comes out and rips up the radiator, condensor, lower bumper skirt, etc) they will want you to pay them and the car owner has no say in the matter.

Aaron Z

Try and find 12 people that would agree to you paying the bill for a jury, bet you can稚!

Problem is folks are too quick to get scared when an insurance company comes at them. I have singlehandedly fought insurance companies before, meaning no attorney and am in the middle of an encounter with them right now and they are loosening again!

If the owner agrees your are not liable, you are simply not liable and the insurance company has no real legal ground. The insurance company does not own the car they only insure it.

/ Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow
This'll get you out

Specifications
Mass M88/M88A1: 50.8 t (112,000 lb)
M88A2: 63.5 t (140,000 lb)
Length 27.13 ft (8.27 m)
Width 11.25 ft (3.43 m)
Height 10.25 ft (3.12 m)
Crew 3
Armor Hull and cab armored to protect against small-arms fire up to 30mm direct fire weapons
Main
armament
M2 .50 cal heavy MG with 1,300 rounds
Engine ç*†88/M88A1: Continental (now L-3 CPS) AVDS-1790-2DR V12, air-cooled Twin-turbo diesel engine
ç*†88A2: Continental AVDS-1790-8CR, V12 air-cooled Twin-turbo diesel engine
M88/M88A1: 750 hp (560 kW)
M88A2: 1,050 hp (780 kW)
Transmission Twin Disc XT-1410-5A cross-drive (3 speed forward, 1 speed reverse)
Suspension Torsion bar suspension
Ground clearance 17 in (0.43 m)
Operational
range
M88/M88A1: 450 km (280 mi)
M88A2: 322 km (200 mi)
Maximum speed M88/M88A1: 42 km/h (26 mph)
M88A2: 48 km/h (30 mph)

I used to work for a company that made the suspension arms, final drives, commander cupola and a few other parts for the M88. Fun times!

/ Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #134  
I first saw one when I was on guard duty in a motorpool when a tank retriever came in with their blackout lights on. You could feel the ground shake before you could see it or hear it. It was impressive and a little scary. They can tow a tank with broken tracks!

/ Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #135  
I don't think that thing is Tier 4 Final!

/ Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #136  
My towing story... years ago I was out hunting with my brother and cousin when we came across a Dodge pickup on the side of the road which had obviously been rolled, then driven. I later heard the story from a coworker who had given the occupants a ride back to town. Apparently they'd left the road and flipped the truck onto it's side with the frame facing the road. (I still haven't figured THAT one out. :confused:)
They called a tow truck, but the operator said the only way he could recover it was to roll it completely over, then onto it's wheels again. After doing that they tried to drive back to town but the engine overheated. I don't know the rest of the story, but from what I saw it appeared the truck was probably totaled.

/ Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #137  
I just pulled someone out of the drift about a mile away from my home.
Saw the flashers on from the window and was able to tell they were right this side of the sharp s turn. Young kid in a car with rear wheel drive, hit the drift as he came around the turn and ended up on the snow bank.
Strap on and had him out in about 2 min flat. Used one of the Rams rather than fireing up the tractor due to the distance out in the dark.
Looks like I will have to do some snow blowing in the morning as my road is starting to drift closed with the wind.

/ Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #138  
   / Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #139  
I just pulled someone out of the drift about a mile away from my home.
Saw the flashers on from the window and was able to tell they were right this side of the sharp s turn. Young kid in a car with rear wheel drive, hit the drift as he came around the turn and ended up on the snow bank.
Strap on and had him out in about 2 min flat. Used one of the Rams rather than fireing up the tractor due to the distance out in the dark.
Looks like I will have to do some snow blowing in the morning as my road is starting to drift closed with the wind.

What’s your area like? Flat, hills, trees? Is Wisconsin considered the mid-west? How common are drifts in the Midwest? They’re more rare near here than occasional.

/ Pulling Vehicles out of a Ditch in the Snow #140  
Try and find 12 people that would agree to you paying the bill for a jury, bet you can稚!

Problem is folks are too quick to get scared when an insurance company comes at them. I have singlehandedly fought insurance companies before, meaning no attorney and am in the middle of an encounter with them right now and they are loosening again!

If the owner agrees your are not liable, you are simply not liable and the insurance company has no real legal ground. The insurance company does not own the car they only insure it.

If you towed them out for free, I would agree.
If you charged them (not them handing you a $10 or a $20 after when you didn't request anything, but you saying "I will tow you out for $20"), IMO you will be treated the same as a tow truck driver.

Thanks to subrogation (in most states), the car owner gave permission for their insurance company to sue others on their behalf to recover insured losses. The car owner has no say in the matter.
It's just like if you are injured at work and use your personal health insurance to pay the medical bills. If they find out, your health insurer will try to make your employer reimburse them for their expenses.

Aaron Z