Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump?

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi All,

We've had a ton of rain. I have a low area in a field that I need to get the water off as I have a crop in it. I have an area that I can pump it to. I'm thinking about buying a gas powered clear water pump with 1 inch inlets and outlets. It's supposed to pump 2100 gallons an hour. I don't need a trash pump (I don't think) as I don't need the huge diameter hoses. I'm not talking tens of thousands of gallons.

So I'm thinking about how the water pick up would work. I'm thinking about putting a five gallon bucket in the ground and drilling holes in the outside of the bucket to allow the water to seep in. Then filling the bucket with rock. Think that would work as a filter? Would I need some kind of fine mesh screen?

Crazy idea or do you think it would work? I'm open to suggestions!

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #2  
A cheap electric sump pump from the local farm supply will pump any trash that will pass the mesh. Mine was $50 and has been severely abused by pumping muddy water out of excavations for about 4 years now. You will need to create a sump to pump from so you won't suck air. The 5 gallon bucket will work for a sump if you dig a hole to put it in.

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #4  
Might be more water then you think. Drill a bunch of holes. Half will be covered by corn stalks, or bean chafe. Most transfer pumps use 2 inch hose-are you sure the rain is over? Dig a hole in the lowest part and toss it in. Burlap bag with the bucket inside. Watch and make sure it allows enough flow for the pump dry ones do not lastlong.

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #5  
First and foremost, how big is the puddle in size and depth. Might be way more water than you think. Look up an acre foot for an example. Secondly your talking 35 gpm thru a 5 gallon bucket with rocks in it. That would be pretty hard for it to keep up with. If it's not something you'll use all the time. Check out harbor freights gas powered trash pump. Can handle much bigger material that come thru the strainer and keep going. You don't want to cavitate the pump or you'll be priming it all the time

Brett

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #6  
The burlap bag is a good way to go as mentioned above. I would keep this light enough you can pick it up and shake off debris. You will need to keep an eye on this to prevent running dry. A small pump is a better choice for this use as the water may move to the pump to slowly for a high volume type.

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #7  
First and foremost, how big is the puddle in size and depth. Might be way more water than you think. Look up an acre foot for an example. Secondly your talking 35 gpm thru a 5 gallon bucket with rocks in it. That would be pretty hard for it to keep up with. If it's not something you'll use all the time. Check out harbor freights gas powered trash pump. Can handle much bigger material that come thru the strainer and keep going. You don't want to cavitate the pump or you'll be priming it all the time

Brett
Harbor freight pumps do not come with hoses
I found total package cheaper other spots
Champion is a good cheap pump
Check volumes, probably more water than you think
Sump pumps runs over an hour clearing my pool cover in the spring

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #8  
There is more water in that field than you'd think so a 1" pump certainly won't do it. How long would it take a garden hose to flood the field? Well, that pump will remove water just as fast. I'd recommend a 2 or 3" trash pump. The trash pump has a loose fitting impeller that can pass small rocks and sticks. These pumps can be found on Craigslist for half the cost of new. Watch the motor hp as that will be a better indicator of the pump capacity than the fitting size. As for the pickup; the best solution is to dig a 3' deep hole at the low spot and then drop the suction hose into the hole. This will allow the pump to draw the water down lower without running dry. There are strainers made to protect the pump inlet. If you are using a trash pump you can use a strainer with larger holes. This will still protect the pump and will be more resistant to clogging than a screen strainer.

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #9  
Trash pump and big deep sump pit.

Or a drainage ditch.

/ Pumping water off field and how to filter inlet to pump? #10  
I pump water out of one of my meadows almost every spring. The "puddle" is 60' wide by 180' long and is 16" deep running thru the middle. BELIEVE ME - that puddle of mine holds one heck of a lot more water than I would even consider with a 1" pump. I use a 2" trash pump(10,000 gallons/hour) and I pump on that puddle for at least 8-10 hours before it is near dry.

If you are considering a 1" trash pump - save your $$$ and let the sun dry up the puddle.