Pumpkin Patch

/ Pumpkin Patch #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I am considering planting a few acres of pumpkins next year and doing a pumpkin patch fall festival for the local elementary school classes and let the kids pick their halloween pumpkins. I have planted a few pumpkins in the past and the deer eat them so fast that they don't produce. Have any of your ever planted a large amount of pumpkins in a heavy deer populated area? I don't want to waste a lot of time and money. Any feedback would be appreciated.

/ Pumpkin Patch #2  
you need a deer proof fence or you're wasting your time and energy. i also have trouble with birds pecking holes in them. and you need plenty of rain or irrigation.

/ Pumpkin Patch #3  
47 inch woven wire fenced topped by four strands of barb wire just seems to slow them down a bit. My garden is right next to a game refuge in the river bottoms. The trick is to plant enough for the deer and enough to harvest. In the spring and early summer there is usually enough for them to eat outside of the garden, but when it gets dry and later in the summer and fall, they attack with a vengeance.