Pup trailers

/ Pup trailers #91  
I maintain 50 miles of gravel roads. We get gravel once a year. Dumps with pups. They spread it all. I very, very rarely have to fix anything with the grader. If so it's because they had a mechanical failure or the tailgate tripped unintentionally. They spread at 15 mph. Including the sweeps at T intersections. Up hills. Down hills. Around corners. And they apply the gravel at the correct rate per mile. Masters. A pleasure to watch.

/ Pup trailers #92  
What was the logic behind that? Even if it’s a fixed pintle which most dump trucks are it still provides zero stability against a roll over.
I'm not sure of your question. The logic behind the refinery safety officer didn't exist. it was based on emotion and his visual perception and from a distance, not logic. The double dump logic, it's faster, it's safer to keep trucks moving in the same direction, the odds of a trailer flopping over are about the same whether it's moving or standing still since we were spreading on graded and compacted gravel. I worked three refinery rail projects all of them averaging 75 trucks dumping an average of 5 loads a day over a period of 90 to 120 days each and nobody ever flopped a trailer over at the refineries.

/ Pup trailers #93  
I worked three refinery rail projects all of them averaging 75 trucks dumping an average of 5 loads a day over a period of 90 to 120 days each and nobody ever flopped a trailer over at the refineries.
75x5x100 x say 20 yards at a time means 750.000 yards... Projects of that magnitude here, would be done by dredges, which either pump the mud directly from the lake or waterway through pipes suspended on floaters, or loaded on barges, which are transferred into a sludge pump system which continues to pump the sludge over land.

Here a highway project on land, with sand from the bottom of a waterbody

Here a barge is transferred into a pump suction pit

And here a coastal work: the extension of Rotterdam sea port, one of the worlds largest:

/ Pup trailers #94  
And heres an Austrian or German logger turning his pup trailer around on a mountain pass: these guys arend afraid, so to see

/ Pup trailers #95  
75x5x100 x say 20 yards at a time means 750.000 yards... Projects of that magnitude here, would be done by dredges, which either pump the mud directly from the lake or waterway through pipes suspended on floaters, or loaded on barges, which are transferred into a sludge pump system which continues to pump the sludge over land.

Here a highway project on land, with sand from the bottom of a waterbody

Here a barge is transferred into a pump suction pit

And here a coastal work: the extension of Rotterdam sea port, one of the worlds largest:
1. The refinery jobs weren't just fill, the material had to meet engineers compaction requirements and had to be structurally sound.
2. In the Northwest of the US you can't disturb the bottom of a waterway except under extreme circumstances due to First Nations treaty fishing rights.
3. The refineries wanted to avail themselves of the Bakken crude which because there are no pipelines, is shipped by rail. The first refinery we did claimed the project was paid for in 6 months by not having to buy foreign oil.
4. The permitting process alone to mine the sludge, set up pipelines, do environmental studies at the mine/dredging site and the job site would have taken years, if not decades. And even after everything is studied and permitted and even started, can be shut down buy governmental fiat or court order.

/ Pup trailers #96  
1. The refinery jobs weren't just fill, the material had to meet engineers compaction requirements and had to be structurally sound.
2. In the Northwest of the US you can't disturb the bottom of a waterway except under extreme circumstances due to First Nations treaty fishing rights.
3. The refineries wanted to avail themselves of the Bakken crude which because there are no pipelines, is shipped by rail. The first refinery we did claimed the project was paid for in 6 months by not having to buy foreign oil.
4. The permitting process alone to mine the sludge, set up pipelines, do environmental studies at the mine/dredging site and the job site would have taken years, if not decades. And even after everything is studied and permitted and even started, can be shut down buy governmental fiat or court order.
Soil compaction (including that of the existing soil underneath the fill) is done dynamically

/ Pup trailers #97  
That was skilled and impressive.
That's the way we did it but rolling a little faster. Engage the PTO on the fly, lift both boxes just past the second stage of the ram, trip the trailer when the spotter indicated, counted 1,2, tripped the truck and spread it 8-10 inches thick in one continuous swath with little or no gap or overlap. The next truck would spread his right beside. We would only stop to shorten up, sweep the reach and shake the spreader chains. Meanwhile, it was being continuously graded and compacted. The job was about 12 lanes wide

/ Pup trailers #98  
Soil compaction (including that of the existing soil underneath the fill) is done dynamically

Hauling it in and compacting worked here. When we were done hauling, they were done compacting, In places we were raising the grade by 20 feet.

/ Pup trailers #99  
Hauling it in and compacting worked here. When we were done hauling, they were done compacting, In places we were raising the grade by 20 feet.
In places, they put 20 feet of overburden on top of the grade, and wait 2 years till gravity pushes the bog aside. Only then they start removing the ballast soil, start compacting and build the road.

Compacting on the go might work on higher ground in the east, but most of our large scale projects are done in coastal regions where both dredge sand is nearby, and subsoil needs compacting beyond the depth reach of a sheepsfoot roller.

/ Pup trailers #100  
In places, they put 20 feet of overburden on top of the grade, and wait 2 years till gravity pushes the bog aside. Only then they start removing the ballast soil, start compacting and build the road.
I saw them doing this method in Canada when they built the east-west connector to the Alex Fraser bridge near Vancouver. In my region you can't simply dredge a river or a bay to get ballast for a project. Anything that might endanger fish habitat can't be touched because of the courts interpretation of a 150 year old treaty.