Pup trailers

/ Pup trailers #51  
I thought we were discussing pup trailers, not log dollies. Excuse me if i took a wrong turn

It is a pup, a west coast mule train or short logger is a different sort of beast you can run up to 5 axles most are two axle or three lumber pups and mule train pups are where the term wiggle worm comes from. The advantage to the setup in this picture is you can hop up the front axle of the trailer allowing the trailer to be loaded but still be unloaded by small equipment.
IMG_0787.jpg

/ Pup trailers #52  
How do you check brake lights on your own, put a stick between seat and brake pedal ? :)
Pretty simple - apply the trailer brake handle (johnny bar) and the brake lights come on - which begs the question: Have you ever driven an American truck on American roads? Or are you just speculating?:unsure:

Last edited:
   / Pup trailers #53  
Now you did it.... We need a definition of a pup trailer? Then we need a definition of a log dolly?

Sidebar. In my World, the removable device used to hitch two 5th wheel style trailers together is called an "Articulator". It can be single axle or tandem axle. But it must be removable. As in lower the dolly on the rear trailer, unlatch the pin, drive away with the articulator. This method is used on all over the road truck trailer units here pulling doubles or triples.
In my part of the world, a dolly is either an axle unit used to carry long logs without a chassis connecting these axles to the frame, so the logs themself form an articulated trailer.
It can also mean one or two axles with a drawbar attached to the frame, and a 5th wheel on top, either to connect semitrailers to a double, or to hook a semitrailer behind a conventional truck, or to hook it behind a farm tractor.
And dolly axles are the steerable trailer axles before the lowbed in heavy haulage, when a 4 or 5 axle tractor unit still cant carry the 5th wheel load.

As i understand it, you guys call any trailer with a tow eye intended to go behind a conventional truck, a pup trailer ?
When i was in Canada i got the impression that only mid axle trailers were called pup trailers there. What we call a "wipkar", or "seesaw cart" but i see the term used for turntable trailers too here.

/ Pup trailers #54  
Pretty simple - apply the trailer brake handle (johnny bar) and the brake lights come on. Also, they come on when the red button (trailer air supply) in the cab is pulled - which begs the question: Have you ever driven an American truck on American roads? Or are you just speculating?:unsure:
No, but i did install Knorr EBS brake systems intended for the North American market on light semitrailers behind light vehicles such as MB Sprinters. They told us they wouldnt start serial production untill it was launched on the North American market, because all heavy trucks in Europe are 24V, not just the starter, but all onboard systems.

I cannot remember putting the brakes on manually, lit the brake lights. But then it was 2008 since i left the trailer business.

/ Pup trailers #55  
It is a pup, a west coast mule train or short logger is a different sort of beast you can run up to 5 axles most are two axle or three lumber pups and mule train pups are where the term wiggle worm comes from. The advantage to the setup in this picture is you can hop up the front axle of the trailer allowing the trailer to be loaded but still be unloaded by small equipment.View attachment 730522
With that relatively long drawbar and single front axle, its not harder to back than the type of combination with which the average European construction company moves their excavators up to 30 ton... And they dont have turntable lock: and if such trailer had turntable lock, it would still need a loaded dumptruck to be able to push 4 axles around the corner.
(Ha! In fact i remember hauling stuff with a 5 ton farm tractor in front, on a wet road: with that tandem under the turntable, even loaded to 1/3 of capacity it would jackknife a farm tractor unless you brake before the corner, and pull flat out through the corner)

Last edited:
   / Pup trailers #56  
With that relatively long drawbar and single front axle, its not harder to back than the type of combination with which the average European construction company moves their excavators up to 30 ton... And they dont have turntable lock: and if such trailer had turntable lock, it would still need a loaded dumptruck to be able to push 4 axles around the corner.
(Ha! In fact i remember hauling stuff with a 5 ton farm tractor in front, on a wet road: with that tandem under the turntable, even loaded to 1/3 of capacity it would jackknife a farm tractor unless you brake before the corner, and pull flat out through the corner)

I never saw that driver use reverse once. Oh wait, he knows he can't back that trailer setup. Well,,, I might have overstated. He can back it short distances, very short. And he can back it in a relatively straight path. He has no chance of being able to turn it around in that situation by backing it into the entrance where the camera was sitting. No chance.

/ Pup trailers #57  

Come on out an show us on the logging roads we have out here there’s a reason the trailers are packed in on the truck as much as possible. There’s place we’ve had to back around twists and corner a mile or two there’s just no place for a turn around. That one is setup to hop up on the back of the truck to help you back on those logging roads it also gives you weight on the drive axles to get up the hills that we see out here.

/ Pup trailers #58  
In my part of the world, a dolly is either an axle unit used to carry long logs without a chassis connecting these axles to the frame, so the logs themself form an articulated trailer.
It can also mean one or two axles with a drawbar attached to the frame, and a 5th wheel on top, either to connect semitrailers to a double, or to hook a semitrailer behind a conventional truck, or to hook it behind a farm tractor.
And dolly axles are the steerable trailer axles before the lowbed in heavy haulage, when a 4 or 5 axle tractor unit still cant carry the 5th wheel load.

As i understand it, you guys call any trailer with a tow eye intended to go behind a conventional truck, a pup trailer ?
When i was in Canada i got the impression that only mid axle trailers were called pup trailers there. What we call a "wipkar", or "seesaw cart" but i see the term used for turntable trailers too here.

You mean a long logger with a reach? Or log trailer without a reach as in a pole trailer?
IMG_0059.jpg

This is a long logger with a reach the reach steers the trailer, this is easier to back up then the mule trains are.

/ Pup trailers #59  
Many people who haven’t pulled one of them have a hard time comprehending how they work. Not easy to explain.

/ Pup trailers