purchased a 1705

/ purchased a 1705 #1  

edgarrian

Platinum Member
Tractor
NA
We have recently just built a home on 8 acres of wooded land with a driveway thats about 400ft long. My wife and I just purchased a new 1705 about 2 weeks ago. Its been a handy little machine to have around. We purchased a box blade as well and I have used it a lot. Ive been moving dirt around and shaving some nobs down. We still have our yard to put out yet. A bunch of logs to cut up from when i pushed them over with the excavator. I did mow a bit with it and it worked great. Its very easy to attach and remove from tractor. I did over heat the dang thing but it seems to run good still. I didn't clean behind the radiator when i was mowing. It was aggravating. Dealer came out and looked at it thought it was good to go. Anyway its been a good little tractor.

/ purchased a 1705 #2  
We have recently just built a home on 8 acres of wooded land with a driveway thats about 400ft long. My wife and I just purchased a new 1705 about 2 weeks ago. Its been a handy little machine to have around. We purchased a box blade as well and I have used it a lot. Ive been moving dirt around and shaving some nobs down. We still have our yard to put out yet. A bunch of logs to cut up from when i pushed them over with the excavator. I did mow a bit with it and it worked great. Its very easy to attach and remove from tractor. I did over heat the dang thing but it seems to run good still. I didn't clean behind the radiator when i was mowing. It was aggravating. Dealer came out and looked at it thought it was good to go. Anyway its been a good little tractor.

Greetings,

The massey Gc1700s are a nice group of scut units.

I was a little surprised when you mentioned you'd done a little mowing and you already had clogged the radiator screen enough to over heat. It must have been very dirty mowing conditions to do it that fast. Any chance something might have been pre-existing from mice etc. ??

One of the things I've commented on before on threads is how cool my GC1715 always runs. Its a good thing, but its just strange how my temp gauge never seems to move much above the 1/4 mark even with 2 or 3 hours of mowing/operating in summer heat. The forward flow cooling process that all the GC1700s have is a good one and keeps the operator less heated and less dirty too lol.

You will notice that there has been a fair sized increase in threads on tbn for the Gc1700 series over this last year. They seem to be catching on with new buyers and various uses. And the new implements and accessory items that have come out for these units by 3rd party vendors has been welcome. I added a quick attach to my fel (the dl95 loader) and that opened up the use of a set of forks which I got and proceeded to use quite a bit to move a lot of everything :) This year I plan to add a unique grapple for the loader and a remote for it as well.

I'd bet you will have a lot of enjoyment and back-saving benefits from your new unit.

/ purchased a 1705
Axlehub,

Yea i was a bit surprised it didn't take very long as well to clog that screen up. I was mowing an area that had a lot of dead leaves. I was a bit frustrated with the dealer for atleast not warning a guy that this happens. Other than that its been a great machine.

Yea i have noticed a bit more traffic on these little machines. Unfortunately where we live we do not have internet so I'm not on the forums as much as i use to be. We tried satellite internet but we canceled bc it seemed to go to quickly. 18G goes fast. Plus it was a 100 dollars for that.

When i bought my 1705 I was a bit surprised the dealer couldn't get a QA for the bucket. I have been in touch with a guy from winsconsin about purchasing a QA for the loader b/c i need forks for my pallets and the many logs i need to move and cut up into firewood. Who did you go to for your QA needs for the loader.

I also added a nice seat with arm rests to my tractor and work led work lights and headlights. the seat was a bit expensive but to me comfort was priority given I have sat on the tractor for 6 hours a few times. I just noticed your from wisconsin so you probably know the guy that I have talked to about the QA for the loader. Can you give me a review of it if you have purchased from him.

thanks

/ purchased a 1705 #4  
EDGARIAN,

I apologize ahead of time . . Because this post is not brief. I wanted to address your questions properly rather than piecemeal. And I detailed examples as well.

1. You mentioned you installed led headlights as well as work lights. What did you need to do to make the headlights led?

2. You asked about the Massey GC1700 bucket QA and there is alot I can tell you about it because mine is the original one for the dl95 loader . . If you happen to see the video of it . . I was working the camera while the designer from mytractortools.com was running the fel.

Its important to understand I have a bias toward implements and equipment that is built for the need and not just the market. So often you hear about the ssqa standards of attachment. But most don't understand that ssqa is a design created for skid steers and their power needs and abilities and their strengths anf weaknesses. So ssqa implements typically are designed with a fair amount of weight. But weight is precious to fully use a scuts ability . . and mytractortools.com products are designed for scuts and also very specific set of a couple loaders for kubota b series units. Why? Because a scut can often do more work than people give them credit for if they have the right implements. If a qa is designed to be both convenient and able to better support an implement, then a set of forks can be designed in a similar manner and you end up with less implement weight and qa weight and more payload available. Thats what mytractortools.com does. Whether its using different steel choices or using different support designs and fabrication methods . . it gives you either more convenience or more capacity or both.

But lets talk examples. My fork set weighs about 115 pounds. It quick attaches in the front in about 45 seconds. They also offer an automatic version that is even faster because you don't need to leave your seat to attach and detach. But . . that fork set is more capable for weight than my scut fel can lift because it can also be used on my 3pt hitch and it's lift capacity of 1190 lbs (massey spec) and that means it can be used on other 3 pr. Units too its strong, it does not rust easily because its sandblasted . . Then primered . . then powdercoated just as all their products are. That's different than most implements I've seen by others (normally at least 1 of those 3 processes is not done in my experience). Paint stays on . . Rust stays off.

Example two . . I want a grapple for my gc1715. I want something strong that can open wide but is narrow so I can reach in betwern trees to grab something or in a pile of rock or logs and get just 1 without diddling around. Mytractortools doesn't make 1 grapple . They have at least 4 I know of . . One is a horizontal grapple . . A different one is called a mini-grapple.

Its called a mini because its only 11 inches wide . . Yet it can open to 28 inches for big rocks or logs or bunches of limbs/branches. Its called "mini" also because it weighs so much less than typical grapples for scuts. A large maker of scut products has 1 choice in a grapple for scuts. Its 157 lbs and 4 feet wide with a 30 inch opening. The mini grapple is 77 lbs, 11 inches wide with a 28 inch opening. I want the mini grapple because it grabs in a tighter area rather than a wider area which is really good for big rocks and access to get to them. I want 80 pounds less weight so I can lift and haul 80 pounds more weight. AND a mini grapple is strong - again anything my fel can lift it is designed for. And a mini grapple is less money than a 4 foot grapple from the competition.

Mytractirtools.com makes quick attach products for some yanmar scut units, as well as all kubota bx products and kioti scuts and massey scuts etc. etc... But the new dl95 loader was especially tricky because it has a unique but beneficial design. The dl100 loader I understand was an easy adaptation of prior models . . but the dl95 requirwd some considerable design changes to maximize its built in benefits.

By the way . . My qa also has a built in 2 inch receiver so trailers and winches and chains for pulling can be implemented easily and cheaply. There is also an optional ripper tooth available that I don't have.

Honestly I had no idea I'd use the forks as much as I already have. I've seen some of the optional buckets mytractortools.com also offers and I sense they maybe having other items coming out in later 2016 as well :)

Some will tell you the price of a patented Quick Attach is more than a kubota qa. Thats true . . but my point is . . if it does more . . its not an apples to apples comparison. My point is . . a patented Quick Attach plus mini grapple plus set of forks totalled in price is cheaper than those 3 items from other vendors and allows me to do more work and heavier work with them too.

Just my opinion . . and certainly I can't afford willy-nilly implement decisions :)

By the way . . I undetstand they can also adapt now to units that already have some ssqa built in or J.D. style . . but you'd have to talk to mytractirtools.com to verify that as I'm just a customer.

P.S. by the way . . Don't forget #1 at the beginning :)

Axlehub

Last edited:
   / purchased a 1705
Axlehub,

1. actually the dealer installed it for me so I'm not sure how they did it or what they had to do.

He has sent me pictures of the qa and that video. Nice work. How is the install for that. Through the pics it looks rather easy. It looks to be all bolt on I believe. I had previously thought about using those forks that attach to the bucket but they look aggravating and it looks to me you could spring the bucket. So I have thrown that idea out the window. I had thought about just getting 3pt forks and then using a chain to keep them in the bucket but I think that would not work very good when moving logs. I like the idea of the QA with the forks. 1 being that there won't be any added extra weight. 2 adjustment of the forks for pallets. 3 no aggravation of the forks moving or damaging the bucket when moving logs. well i think i have talked myself into it. Id just like to hear some opinion on the install of the QA if you could provide that

thanks

/ purchased a 1705 #6  
Edgarrin,

Installing the tach-n-go is a straightforward efgort. You need a hex wrench sized to fit your existing bolts that hold the bucket to the fel arms . . There are 4 to take out.

Then the tach-n-go fits in where the bucket had been and the bolts are re-input and tightened with the caps that are included with the qa to match the existong ones.

Then there should be a bracket that comes with the unit. This bascket allows you to move the hydro line junction cover on the ctoss tube . . Moves it back further so thatbthe tach-ngo has full movement range.

Thatbshould do it. . The tach-n-go uses a patented latch down mechanism - 1 on each side with a locking pin to secure the mechanism

My guess you would have the qa installed in a half hour or so. The biggest issues are getting the bucket off the fel with bolts out . . not because itsbhard but just becausebthe bucketbweigjs 155 lbs. Andvthen getting the q.a. aligned with the pins to get the bolts back in. Again not difgicult . . Just getting the q.a. lined up. And . . To be honest . . Mytractortools.com is a little fanatic about its packing and shipping containering. They make considerablevefgortnpacking their productsvsonthey do not get damaged in transut. You might spendvalmostvad long unpacking the item that you do installing it :) :)

On your other topic . . Clamp on forks. A set of forks like I have is significantly different than a set of clamp on forks. First, my forks arevattached closebtonthebpints via q.a. but bolt on forks are fadtened in front ofbthe bucket . . Thus changing the levrtsge points andvrefucing the weigjtnload posdibilities. Secondly my forksvweigh 115 lbs. But clampnon forks are a combination of a 15 5 lbs bucket plusvrgevweight ofvthe clamp on forksvtjemsekves. Third, clamp on forks is a combination of 2 items connected at the weakest point of right at the 90 degree angle. My forks are a forged/welded 90 degree turn supported throughout the 90 degree shape . . plus what you said about the strength of the bucket is not equal ton the forks forged steel. And finally . . Quality forks give you something to tie to in the back for better loadshift securing. But clampons do not offer this capability.

And if you get the forks . . You can also put them on theb3 pt. And load the 3 pt with a good sized log weight . . Then also put wood in the bucket as well. . . . or have 2 sets of forks . . One forbthe back andv1 forbthe front for balanced hauling lol.

/ purchased a 1705
axlehub

Thanks ill be sure to let you know when they come to the house. Ill probably order here in the next few days. I may inquire about the hitch you had put onto yours. Thanks for the suggestions