Purchased Deere 5100E Open Station over MF 4710 and Kubota

/ Purchased Deere 5100E Open Station over MF 4710 and Kubota #1  

gatorguy7

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD, Kubota, Ford
I purchased a used 2019 Deere 5100E over a Massey Ferguson 4710 and Kubota M6S or M5-111. My first pick was the Massey. I had a deal worked out for a 4710 for $58k but it was sold out from under me. The only thing I was worried about on the Massey was the 3 cyclinder 3.3L engine compared to the 4 cylinders of the other tractors in its class. The reviews were good and the price was right so I thought it was worth a shot. After the unit I had signed a deal on was sold, I couldn't find a single tractor like it in all of the Southeast. The only other open stations available were setup as poulty house tractors (small tires, downward exhaust etc). I started looking into getting a cab since that's all that was available but they were an extra $20,000 which is outrageous for some glass and an AC compressor. I'm using the tractor on a cattle ranch so I'm in and around trees all the time mowing pastures so I really didn't want a cab.

There was a Kubota M6S available locally but it didn't have a loader and it had a smaller wheel/tire package. The M6S is bigger than the Massey and somewhat comparable to the Deere. I really liked the Swing-shift transmission. However, they wanted almost $80k for the open station M6S and couldn't tell me when the loader would be available. There's other posts on TBN that say there are some 8,000 loaders on back order from Kubota.

I almost gave up searching for tractors when I remembered a used Deere 5100E I had bookmarked a while back. I pulled it back up and it was still for sale for $56k. Its a 2019 model with 42 hours for sale at a Deere dealer. I called up the salesman and had a great convo. The only downside was the dealership was about 7 hours away. However, they offered a very generous price on our Kubota 7060 on trade which made the deal about perfect. The 5100 was owned by a frequent customer of the dealership which owned several tractors, this one being his largest and he just didn't use it enough. I had heard that the E series was more for the hobby farmer and the M or R series was better suited for heavy farm use/tillage etc. I believe in the open station, there really isn't much different in the 5 series. I looked at the 6105E but that is a much larger frame tractor and you lose a lot of maneuverability. I feel like the current 6 series is closer to the older 7 series like our 2004 7230.

IMG_8477.jpg

The Deere 5100E has a 4.5L 4 cylinder and you can tell as soon as you start it up. It is in a much different class than the Massey or the Kubota 4 cylinder 3.3L V3307 on the 7060. The Deere already came equipped with three rear remotes, front end loader, and third function on the loader with a grapple. The loader and the third function both have the Faster multicoupler which is the cat's ass. Using one lever to connect and disconnect is a real game changer. I frequently take the loader off when mowing so that will be helpful.

IMG_8563.jpg

IMG_8565.jpg

The transmission is a 12F/12R PowrReverser. It has three ranges and 4 speeds. Range A is a crawl and Range C is pretty much road speed only. Running 540 RPM PTO speed is 4.0 mph in B2, 5.5 mph in B3, and 7.5 in B4. If I use the PTO overdrive (PTO E), B5 drops to about 5 mph since its only ~1700 rpms. The dash is very clear and informative. The electric hand throttle makes it easy to fine tune your PTO speed.

IMG_8522.jpg
IMG_8575.jpg

When I got home I immediately hooked up the Rhino 4150 15' batwing. This tractor has 85 pto hp compared to 64 on the 7060. I was a little worried it wouldn't be enough of a difference but it is a noticeable upgrade. I used to run 4-5 mph with the 70HP Kubota and would have to raise the height and/or take less than a full swath. I now run at 7.5mph and take a full swatch all the time which equates to mowing 11.3 ac/hr compared to 6.5-7 ac/hr. The tractor test data showed about 5 gph consumption and I would tend to agree based on my initial usage. I'm able to cover so much more ground I think total fuel usage will be about the same. I used to crank the Kubota up to 1800-2000 RPMs to turn on the PTO to keep the tractor from stalling. The Deere only needs to be at 1500 or so. I could probably use a lower RPM if the PTO control wasn't electronic. The old cable PTO lever allowed me to slowly feather the PTO on which helped with the shock to the drive line.

IMG_8550.jpg

The three hydraulic remotes all allow float. The first remote has flow control as well which is nice. The remotes and handles are color coded which is very handy. The levers are a little stiff but the tractor is still new. It seems like these hydraulics work the batwing much easier (can raise and lower at the same speed regardless of tractor RPM). I have not used the loader much yet but it seems to be underrated. We have a skid steer that handles the heavy lifting and most loader work anyways.

IMG_8573.jpg
IMG_8574.jpg

Last edited:
   / Purchased Deere 5100E Open Station over MF 4710 and Kubota
Here's some comparison shots of a Kubota 7040 and the 5100E. The Deere has its tires set all the way out. I wouldn't do this myself but it doesn't hurt besides having a little less room to manuever on the flatbed which is 8'6". The canopy on the Kubota is smaller and set much higher above the seat. As a result, I got caught out in the rain on the Deere and noticed I was able to stay dry much easier than in the Kubota (which means better shade too!).

IMG_8576.jpg

IMG_8578.jpg

Hauling the tractor home I was surpised by the weight - 31,620 lbs! My truck weighed 9,500 brand new. I've added a toolbox, tools, supplies, cooler, spare tire and there were two men and two children in the truck. I figure ~11,000lbs. The trailer has an empty weight rating of 7,410lbs but I have not verified it. That puts me at ~18,500 lbs which leaves 13,120 lbs for the tractor. Deere rates the tractor as 7,275 for open station. Add a loader for ~1,000 lbs, grapple 800 lbs, rear tires filled 1,500 lbs - Total of 10,575. I have a couple hundred pounds of chains, straps and binders in the trailer. I'm guessing the trailer is quite a bit heavier than the sticker implies. Diamond C has started weighing every trailer to get an exact number for the sticker but I don't know if this happened with my trailer.

IMG_8478.jpg

IMG_8585.jpg

Last edited:
   / Purchased Deere 5100E Open Station over MF 4710 and Kubota #4  
That Kubota is a fantastic machine, pre-emission if I'm correct, too bad it didn't fulfill your needs.
Make sure you are giving enough RPMs to your Deere. That one has PDF and it likes to be run at high RPMs.
Congratulations, and enjoy the new machine.

That Kubota is a fantastic machine, pre-emission if I'm correct, too bad it didn't fulfill your needs.
Make sure you are giving enough RPMs to your Deere. That one has PDF and it likes to be run at high RPMs.
Congratulations, and enjoy the new machine.
We kept the 7040! The Kubota we traded in was a 7060 that had a DPF. I don't think I'll ever get rid of the pre-emissions 7040. Its a great chore tractor.

The Deere is going to be used for mowing and tillage so high RPM will be the standard.

Last edited:
   / Purchased Deere 5100E Open Station over MF 4710 and Kubota #6  
I have that same tractor in a cab model. What you describe is economy PTO. Mine runs 540 RPM at around 1700 RPM engine speed. The PTO is selctable. I run mine in EPTO all the time and pull a 20' Frontier finish mower. In B range, 3rd gear mine uses 2 GPH. You can get the bluetooth adapter for it that pulls data up in an app on your phone. It costs 100 bucks and is worth every penny. It gives you the engine load and more importantly the soot load level. They regen at 100% soot load level n o matter the hours. These tractors are a beast and I'm sure you will enjoy running it.

Thanks! I referred to the economy PTO an overdrive of the PTO. I don't believe its recommended for heavier implements like our batwing. I would use it running my finish mower or a post auger etc.

What bluetooth adapter did you get? Is it from Deere?

/ Purchased Deere 5100E Open Station over MF 4710 and Kubota #8  
Yes. There's one for the series 5. From Deere.

/ Purchased Deere 5100E Open Station over MF 4710 and Kubota #9  
I purchased a used 2019 Deere 5100E over a Massey Ferguson 4710 and Kubota M6S or M5-111. My first pick was the Massey. I had a deal worked out for a 4710 for $58k but it was sold out from under me. The only thing I was worried about on the Massey was the 3 cyclinder 3.3L engine compared to the 4 cylinders of the other tractors in its class. The reviews were good and the price was right so I thought it was worth a shot. After the unit I had signed a deal on was sold, I couldn't find a single tractor like it in all of the Southeast. The only other open stations available were setup as poulty house tractors (small tires, downward exhaust etc). I started looking into getting a cab since that's all that was available but they were an extra $20,000 which is outrageous for some glass and an AC compressor. I'm using the tractor on a cattle ranch so I'm in and around trees all the time mowing pastures so I really didn't want a cab.

There was a Kubota M6S available locally but it didn't have a loader and it had a smaller wheel/tire package. The M6S is bigger than the Massey and somewhat comparable to the Deere. I really liked the Swing-shift transmission. However, they wanted almost $80k for the open station M6S and couldn't tell me when the loader would be available. There's other posts on TBN that say there are some 8,000 loaders on back order from Kubota.

I almost gave up searching for tractors when I remembered a used Deere 5100E I had bookmarked a while back. I pulled it back up and it was still for sale for $56k. Its a 2019 model with 42 hours for sale at a Deere dealer. I called up the salesman and had a great convo. The only downside was the dealership was about 7 hours away. However, they offered a very generous price on our Kubota 7060 on trade which made the deal about perfect. The 5100 was owned by a frequent customer of the dealership which owned several tractors, this one being his largest and he just didn't use it enough. I had heard that the E series was more for the hobby farmer and the M or R series was better suited for heavy farm use/tillage etc. I believe in the open station, there really isn't much different in the 5 series. I looked at the 6105E but that is a much larger frame tractor and you lose a lot of maneuverability. I feel like the current 6 series is closer to the older 7 series like our 2004 7230.

View attachment 755735

The Deere 5100E has a 4.5L 4 cylinder and you can tell as soon as you start it up. It is in a much different class than the Massey or the Kubota 4 cylinder 3.3L V3307 on the 7060. The Deere already came equipped with three rear remotes, front end loader, and third function on the loader with a grapple. The loader and the third function both have the Faster multicoupler which is the cat's ass. Using one lever to connect and disconnect is a real game changer. I frequently take the loader off when mowing so that will be helpful.

View attachment 755738

View attachment 755739

The transmission is a 12F/12R PowrReverser. It has three ranges and 4 speeds. Range A is a crawl and Range C is pretty much road speed only. Running 540 RPM PTO speed is 4.0 mph in B2, 5.5 mph in B3, and 7.5 in B4. If I use the PTO overdrive (PTO E), B5 drops to about 5 mph since its only ~1700 rpms. The dash is very clear and informative. The electric hand throttle makes it easy to fine tune your PTO speed.

View attachment 755736View attachment 755742

When I got home I immediately hooked up the Rhino 4150 15' batwing. This tractor has 85 pto hp compared to 64 on the 7060. I was a little worried it wouldn't be enough of a difference but it is a noticeable upgrade. I used to run 4-5 mph with the 70HP Kubota and would have to raise the height and/or take less than a full swath. I now run at 7.5mph and take a full swatch all the time which equates to mowing 11.3 ac/hr compared to 6.5-7 ac/hr. The tractor test data showed about 5 gph consumption and I would tend to agree based on my initial usage. I'm able to cover so much more ground I think total fuel usage will be about the same. I used to crank the Kubota up to 1800-2000 RPMs to turn on the PTO to keep the tractor from stalling. The Deere only needs to be at 1500 or so. I could probably use a lower RPM if the PTO control wasn't electronic. The old cable PTO lever allowed me to slowly feather the PTO on which helped with the shock to the drive line.

View attachment 755737

The three hydraulic remotes all allow float. The first remote has flow control as well which is nice. The remotes and handles are color coded which is nice. The levers are a little stiff but the tractor is still new. It seems like these hydraulics work the batwing much easier (can raise and lower at the same speed regardless of tractor RPM). I have not used the load much yet but it seems to be underrated. We have a skid steer that handles the heavy lifting and most loader work anyways.

View attachment 755740View attachment 755741
That is a really nice tractor, I have a 2011 Pre-def 5093E cab tractor and from your photos they have came a long way with the ergonomics of the controls , that has been my only complaint with mine, but it's been a good tractor, enjoy yours.Charlie. I see you weighed in at Ellisville there on I-75, I'm only about 20 miles from there.

I got that bluetooth from John deere installed this weekend. That thing is awesome! The live dashboard is pretty cool with all of the live data about the tractor. I also really like how the owners manual and maintenance schedule are all on there as well. It is handy to be able to see all active and inactive codes.

IMG_8656.jpg
IMG_8663.PNG

I also took the loader off to do some mowing with the finish mower. The 520M comes off pretty easily. I really like the stands for the loader - much more stout and stable than the Kubota stands. That multi coupler makes this a real breeze. I like to take the loader off when mowing to increase maneuverability and decrease my ground pressure a bit. I was surprised that even with the loader on the tractor I can turn as tight as possible and it does not make ruts. These tires are bias ply but are 12" wide so they're not as bad as the 9.5 pizza cutters that came on my Kubota 7040. Adding the 14" radial tire package from Miller tire was one of the best things I have ever done to my 7040.

IMG_8655.jpg

Last edited: