Purchasing a Scag ZTR

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR #1  

PearlWhiteGT

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T1510
We're planning on purchasing a new Scag zero turn mower real soon and looking at the Patriot 52" with the Kawasaki FX691 engine. Any of you have any experience with this mower? It will be replacing our old Bad Boy MZ 48" ZTR that we just sold. How is the hero deck on these lower end machines compared to the velocity deck?

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR #2  
I have a 60inch Scag Wildcat with the 26hp Kawasaki water cooled engine that I bought brand new in 2010. It's an awesome machine with a very comfortable seat. That seat was a huge selling point for me, it was just so much nicer then anything else that I sat in. The Kawasaki engine was another reason to buy it. I feel that the Motorcycle companies make the best small engines. Honda is number one, Kawasaki is a gook option if Honda isn't available.

Changing the blades is fast and easy. There is a metal plate at the front of the deck that was too high, so I loosened the bolts and lowered it to stop a lot of the dust that would come out the front of the deck when it's dry out and I mow over a dirt area. That dust was a blinding cloud that was horrible.

When it's running, it's a beast. After the first couple of years, I stared having issues with the safety switches. There are several of them and you have to go through each one to find out which one isn't working. After a few years of that, I just bypassed all of them. I also had issues with my key, so after replacing it several times, I bypassed it and now I start it with two loose wires that I touch together. Batteries don't seem to last very long. I haven't figured out why, but I haven't found one that will last all season. I buy a new battery every spring. I've gone to every auto parts store looking for something better, and they are either all bad, or I have an issue somewhere. I'm guessing it's the mower. There are two 20 amp fuses right next to the key area that blow randomly. When that happens, the mower blades stop spinning. Put in a new fuse, and it works great again. I've had to replace the generator once. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars with an aftermarket unit, but I went with the Scag factory one, which was a bit of a chore figuring out how to get it off, but doable. I've also replaced the switch to start the mower blades 3 times. I've always bought the Scag model, but there are aftermarket options for less money.

Scag has a good website for listing parts, but you have to have you serial number, which was a pain until I created a Word Document with it on there, along with all the parts that I normally buy. I go through 3 sets of blades a year because of the type of grass that I have.

Probably the most annoying that that it's started doing is throwing the belts. There are two belts. One from the engine that goes to one side of the deck, and then another that does the other side. When you first turn on the blades, it will either work, or the blades will come off the pullies. Usually it only happens the one time when first starting it for the day. I keep a half inch breaker bar with a 6 inch extension on it on a shelf where I part the mower to fix this.

I don't know if I would buy Scag again. I would not recommend them, but I don't know who I would recommend, or what I would buy if I was looking today. I've read that they fixed all their electrical issues, so maybe I just bought when they where selling bad parts and it was just bad luck on my part? I see a lot of pros using Scag, which also influenced my decision to buy Scag. I also see a few other brands and I wonder if they all have issues?

I went from a Craftsman riding mower, which I really enjoyed, to the zero turn, which I thought would be fun, but it's really not. You go faster, you have to pay attention more, it beats you up the faster you go, and by the time you are done mowing, you will feel it. My wife wants a riding mower, she hates the zero turn and refuses to use it. So we'll probably get a riding mower for next year so she can help out. It will probably be a Deere, because she wants a Deere. Not that they are good, or better, just that they are green and she can say that she has a Deere. I doubt it will matter either way, as long as she is happy with it.

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR #3  
Plenty of nice zero turn mower’s available.
I happen to own a Kubota ZD21 which is a diesel commercial mower with a 60 inch deck, it now has over 1,200 mostly trouble free hours on it, still using the original belt, anytime I have needed any parts my dealer amazingly had the parts in stock so all I had to do was stop and pick them up, I am very happy with my Kubota ZD21.

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR #4  
I'm about 10 years into a Briggs powered Scag Freedom Z48. Certainly not the machine you are considering but it is a consumer grade Scag zero turn that probably occupied a similar place in the brand lineup then as the one you are looking at now. I mow about 3/4acre weekly in season. Still on the original belts, pulleys, spindles and all electrical components except the battery. Blades and normal service items are all it has ever needed. The Briggs engine has served me well but a Kawasaki FX691 would certainly be an upgrade.

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR
Thanks for the info.

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR #6  
I have a 60inch Scag Wildcat with the 26hp Kawasaki water cooled engine that I bought brand new in 2010.

I also had issues with my key, so after replacing it several times, I bypassed it and now I start it with two loose wires that I touch together.

So kinda like in "Gone in 60 Seconds"

Batteries don't seem to last very long. I haven't figured out why, but I haven't found one that will last all season.
Three possible reasons:
1. Your battery is not secured properly. A lead-acid battery will fail early if it bounces around. The vibration can damage the cells.

2. Your voltage regulator is not working property. It can be overcharging your battery and that will boil out the water and cause a short life span.

3. You may have a small current drain on your battery caused by some electrical component that is causing a leakage current, draining your battery.

The cure for #1 is obvious.
#2 can be checked with a voltmeter. The voltage at the battery with the engine running at half speed should be around 14.5 volts. If higher or lower, you have a problem.

#3 can be checked using a DVM set to current measurement. With The engine off and the on/off switch in the off position, remove the positive battery cable. Connect your current meter between the battery positive terminal and the cable. You should not see any current flow or a few
milliamps at the most. If more than that, you need to find what is causing the current drain.

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR #7  
Appreciate the advise. I really should look into it. It seems to be getting worse. I bought a new battery in Spring and I've been jumpstarting it for a month now.

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR #8  
I have a Simplicity Citation XL with a 61" deck with full suspension. That makes a difference and my wife loves cutting the grass. It doesn't beat her up is the reason. I usually run it full throttle across our bumpy field. Works great.

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR
Well here it is.

KVW7WhC.jpg

69BWC9l.jpg

pxyluwH.jpg

/ Purchasing a Scag ZTR #10  
Well seat looks comfortable! Go get it dirty!!
David from jax