Push Button Dual Range HST

/ Push Button Dual Range HST #1  

BadgerPhil

Does EVERYBODY feel comfortable with the push button dual range HST, and am I the ONLY one who feels it introduces another level of complexity with problem potential? Is there precedent with Ford-NH for this feature? Does it have a track record? I gotta know before I buy!

/ Push Button Dual Range HST #2  
BadgerPhil,

I am totally comfortable with the push button dual range. It is a very useful feature when using a front loader. Without stopping to change ranges you can just press a button (which happens to be on the joystick you are holding) to obtain more torque when digging and then press another button to obtain either ground speed or faster loader cycle times.

Another level of complexity? Maybe, but it seems to be a rather straight forward adjustment of some hydraulic pump speed (maybe someone else can speak better to this point). If I really want it simple, without complexity, I can just get my 'ole Ford 9N out which does not get the job done nearly as quickly or as easily (if it can do the job at all). Have to admit though, I still like the 'ole 9N for nostalgic sake, guess that's why I still have it. Only gets used for pulling hay wagons now. Will probably sell it since it does not get used often enough (said that a year ago).

DaveV

/ Push Button Dual Range HST #3  
BadgerPhil,

I'm in complete agreement with DaveV. When I'm using the loader I'm almost always in low range. In that situation I use the dual power feature all the time for the same reasons mentioned. If it was gone I'd really miss it. In fact sometimes I get really lazy and use it to slow down over deep ruts. An HST is real easy to use. Moving your thumb a 1/16 of an inch is even easier!

Peter

/ Push Button Dual Range HST
I TOTALLY agree whith you both on the ease of use. It's an awesome feature, but if it gives problems in a few years, knowing shop labor costs, we'll be less pleased. Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else been using it for a long time?

/ Push Button Dual Range HST #5  
BP, I think there are 2 issues here with the HST switch. first the switch itself, maybe rain/dust/coffee get's down into it and zaps it for some reason. That should only be a $10 repair job and just a few minutes replacement time. Now for the valve... only time will tell, if 1500 hrs later it's still working then we'll all be happy. But then as these tractor get more "fly-by-wires" less mechanical and more electrical/hydro there's only one way to see. Time will tell. My 11hours so far are without any hydro problems.

gary

/ Push Button Dual Range HST
Gary, thanks for your thoughts. Also: do you notice that it gets harder to steer when the loader is working (because of having only one hydraulic pump)?
Phil

/ Push Button Dual Range HST #7  
Phil,

I have 100hrs on my TC35D. Obviously that's not a real long time but no problems with the dual power HST. I believe that there are two hydraulic pumps. One is for steering only (5.13 gpm) and the other is for loader, 3pt, etc (9.8 gpm). They might both be encased in the same housing but the manual mentions two different pumps. Also to be clear, I've never experienced any extra steering effort when using the loader.

Peter

/ Push Button Dual Range HST #8  
Phil,

Like Peter said, I notice no change in the ease of steering while using the loader. The pump(s) seem to be well designed. You can be lifting a very heavy load and start accelerating in a high range and the steering is not affected.

David

/ Push Button Dual Range HST #9  
I know what you mean about the 9N, Dave. I own a Jubilee and I don't think I'll ever part with it. Right now it does an excellent job of running my chipper-shredder and rotary cutter so I can leave my TC45 in the loader-boxblade setup.

JimI

/ Push Button Dual Range HST #10  
JimI,

Not familiar with the Jubilee, I'll have to look that one up.

Was using my 9N for rotary mowing but the "stuff" that I was "mowing" kept bogging the ole 9N down. The TC40D went through it without skipping a beat. Hmmm, maybe I need a chipper-shredder to justify keeping the 9N. My wife occasionally asks why I still have not gotten rid of the 9N. Can you imagine, using language such as "get rid of" in conjuction with my trusty ole 9N? Next thing you know when my girls get older instead of marrying them off well just "get rid of" them too! /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Did you have the recall on your TC45? I just took mine to the dealer this morning for the recall.

DaveV