Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #61  
He obviously knows what he’s doing and knows the limits of his tractor. I’ve watched my brother in law who is an exceptional operator put excavators & dozers in situations I never would have thought possible.
I’ve operated my Ford 1720 tractor close to its limits many times but I know my tractors capabilities.
Unfortunately when we have a task to do and don’t have the proper equipment we improvise. Most of the time it goes well.
90cummins

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #62  
He obviously knows what he’s doing and knows the limits of his tractor. I’ve watched my brother in law who is an exceptional operator put excavators & dozers in situations I never would have thought possible.
I’ve operated my Ford 1720 tractor close to its limits many times but I know my tractors capabilities.
Unfortunately when we have a task to do and don’t have the proper equipment we improvise. Most of the time it goes well.
90cummins
I have a very good friend that is the same with an Excavator. I'll work in the trench while he's digging. I'll signal him to lift me out of the trench in the bucket. Or have him move me from one side to the other. I absolutely trust him. He says the bucket teeth are his finger tips. And that's just how it looks to watch him dig.

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #63  
Many times, and they do stuff that will curl your hair. Of course their tractors are usually "squat" tractors. A lowered center of gravity. But still It is phenomenal what they do.
Around here they usually have the "utility" version of the tractor which has wider wheels than a "regular" one, but otherwise it's a standard tractor, it's not like the old Masseys that got a different front axle.

I have a very good friend that is the same with an Excavator. I'll work in the trench while he's digging. I'll signal him to lift me out of the trench in the bucket. Or have him move me from one side to the other. I absolutely trust him. He says the bucket teeth are his finger tips. And that's just how it looks to watch him dig.
I know a couple guys like that, there is a huge difference between what I would do around them digging and around someone else digging.

Aaron Z

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #64  
Around here they usually have the "utility" version of the tractor which has wider wheels than a "regular" one, but otherwise it's a standard tractor, it's not like the old Masseys that got a different front axle.

I know a couple guys like that, there is a huge difference between what I would do around them digging and around someone else digging.

Aaron Z
Here, MODOT leases 6xxx series JD cab tractors. Set the wheels out, and have at it.

The friend I'm talking about has a BIL that works with him. He's been running a TLB for 30 years. If you are inside the "arc" of the backhoe reach you are in the KILL ZONE. He's extremely dangerous. Makes me nervous to work around him because I'm afraid I'll get busy and forget to stay out of that zone....

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #65  
Unless one has been outside the confines of the comfy western world it's hard to grasp what life is like elsewhere.

For my time outside the comfy western world, I've seen people doing things at work, which the highly litigious comfy western world would not tolerate. That's why what we buy here in North America is well covered with warning stickers, and will stop if your butt comes off the seat. Somebody won a lawsuit against somebody else, so somebody else, then everybody else, learned that it's less costly to warn and guard us into safety, 'cause they cannot train us to be safe. We should be safe anyway.

It would be silly to suggest that the life of a machine operator from some part of the world has less value than the life of a machine operator. But the cost of a life (or injury) seems different. So it leads employers in North America to be generally more wary of employing test pilots, unless that's actually the job. When it's the job, extra precautions are taken (like at least seatbelts!).

If you need to push to the limits, at least know the limits, and have a means of knowing that you're getting close, before you get to the limit! Then, take appropriate precautions. I don't normally wear the seatbelt in my tractor nor excavator, and I do not know the precise tip angles for either. But, If I'm operating on any slope or handing a high C of G load, I put my seatbelt on, and both machines have ROPs.

'Ever been a part of the rescue team extricating an injured tractor driver from under his flipped over tractor? I have....

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. I used to operate heavy equipment for a living and I personally witnessed a guy do something that he had done for 30 years that nearly cost him his life. It wasn't even anything so called, "stupid" either besides the fact that he was not wearing a seatbelt.

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #67  
It shouldn't even be considered in the first place. The equipment also has a limited capacity, and we should not try to exceed that. Most of the time, it is not just dangerous for the equipment, but also for the user. Do the task with mindfulness.

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #68  
Half the problem now with the western world is we have to have 10 layers of red tape and 20 layers of bubble wrap on everyone.

What are the options in the video case ? do it by hand ?

I mean, what I saw was not what I call extremely dangerous, it is a mild gradient, he has a blade at front and a wider implement at rear.

We are all losing our touch with reality, it is why China etc will take over, watch the guys in NY when they built the first skyscrapers....and tell me which you would rather be doing.

Our red tape nonsense because one twit may hurt themselves is crippling our societies in the west, the individual has become more important than the mob, it is society coming apart.

Things I used to do routinely as a kid, now require about 20 steps and many days to prepare before any work gets done, it has added a ridiculous amount of cost to everything, now wonder nothing much gets done and everything costs so much now...lol

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #69  
1643806146783.png

/ Pushing A Tractor To It's Limits #70  
lol...not wrong, even the Chinese are falling for our dumbed down ways, I bought some electronics, the chunk of the manual was about how too not to harm yourself, with the wrapping, but putting electric items in water, etc etc.....

We need some events to weed out the misfits me thinks, but it is not politically correct to say so, so I will keep it between us :)