Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods.

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods. #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
Found some more scrap iron and old machinery in the woods. Easiest way to get to it was push a path into it with my allis. Here is some pics: 20180330_154913.jpg20180330_155007.jpg20180330_155013.jpg20180330_155923.jpg20180330_155013.jpg20180330_155152.jpg20180330_155159.jpg20180330_154558.jpg20180330_154603.jpg

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods. #2  
You needed this kind of Allis Chalmers for that effort. I grew up with one of these and it was amazing what 45 hp would do.

Allis Chalmers Crawler - YouTube

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods.
Truthfully, i wouldn't mind having a track loader. The secret to pushing is not horsepower, but traction. When pushing, i generally Don't have horsepower issues, but traction issues. Because of the steel cletes, a 50 hp dozer will flat kick a 100 hp tractors butt.

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods. #4  
I grew up with dad having a gas 180. That thing was a beast for this area at the time. As big or bigger than what a lot of the local actual farmers were using.

Sold for basically scrap price when I was a teen due to some jackass vandalizing it while it was in a neighbor's field, ruining the engine beyond what we could afford to fix.

I miss that tractor.

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods. #5  
A friend has a bunch of Allis tractors. His Dad had a dealership. Looking at them, it is obvious they were ahead of the pack in quality and build. Curious, if they had a premium price tag. Definitely of a by-gone era, that's for sure!

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods. #6  
A friend has a bunch of Allis tractors. His Dad had a dealership. Looking at them, it is obvious they were ahead of the pack in quality and build. Curious, if they had a premium price tag. Definitely of a by-gone era, that's for sure!

I would say they did not keep up with the times. I never had a lot of experience with the tractors until the 7000 series and my experience with them versus green or red or that off-white (Case) was that they were behind a ways both in design and function. Only diehard AC guys bought them.

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods. #7  
My father sold them for 26 years from 59-85. We ran WC's, WD's, D17's, a 180, 190, and 8050. His first dozer was an HD5, then an HD6, and last but not least a 7GB Fiat Allis. I cut my teeth on orange tractors. Last one we sold from Pop's estate was the 8050. They were good at what they did. Allis was stubborn and stayed with the snap coupler too long before changing to 3 point. Don't know if that would have saved the name but the lineage is still there with Agco. Iconic name that I will was fortunate enough to have experienced in my youth

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods.
I have to agree on their backward way of design doing things. Their "live power torque converter set up, hydraulics and transmission and so forth. However what they are as far as beefy, rugged and toughness kind of makes up for their quirky design. I like a tractor that is beefy and rugged.

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods. #9  
AC's were always hard-pulling son of a guns. Even today you see lots of old AC's in county fair tractor pulls.

/ Pushing and shoving allis "bulldozes path" into woods. #10  
I am considering buying a 100KW Onan Genset with a Diesel Six Allis. I don't need it more then another hole in the head, but it seems nobody wants it. That thing starts with some authority! The alternator is some commercial voltage but maybe someone can use the well running motor. Or maybe it's too Onanized.