Quality drill bits for metal.

/ Quality drill bits for metal. #11  
I have used McMaster Carr for good quality drill bits. Fast shipping and large selection. If you don’t have one a drill bit speed chart is a nice addition. In my 30 years of working with metal most drilling problems were too fast speed and lack of cutting fluid use.

/ Quality drill bits for metal. #12  
two rules
1. half the speed double the feed
2. keep cutting edge cool
figure these out and even "junk" bits will drill through steel
This is indeed the answer. I dip the tips in thread cutting oil as I go. And I’ve been impressed with both DeWalt and Milwaukee drill bits.

/ Quality drill bits for metal. #13  
I have a set if Irwin cobalt bits that cut and hold an edge well.

/ Quality drill bits for metal. #14  
McMaster-Carr is good and they can get you stuff about as fast as Amazon Prime. Another good place for tooling is Victor Machinery. They typically have better prices than McMaster for the same quality tooling. VM used to sell new-old stock from many of the best US tool makers. I have drawers full. I didn't see any the last time I was there though. They still sell made in USA stuff but I didn't see any brands mentioned.

/ Quality drill bits for metal. #15  
Thanks for the victor machinery heads up. I had not heard of them.

/ Quality drill bits for metal. #17  
I have a set if Irwin cobalt bits that cut and hold an edge well.

I have a few of them myself as the local Ace Hardware was closing after 40 years and there was a huge 70% off sale.

/ Quality drill bits for metal.
I've used McMaster-Carr for other stuff. They are amazing. Stuff gets here before I knew I wanted it. ;-) I'll look at their bits.

I do use cutting oil when doing any significant drilling.

A stubb set would be very handy even for starting a hole for a jobber bit. It seems to me that any bit with any length on it can wander.

I sharpen bits on a narrow belt sander. It works okay in a pinch. Hardly precise though.

There are two Irwin sets on Amazon. The M35 set is 5% cobalt and is $122. The M42 set is presumably 8% cobalt and is $168. I don't think I need the 8% cobalt and I understand they are more brittle.

Irwin set.

Quick edit: Reviews are terrible on these bits. Pass.

/ Quality drill bits for metal. #19  
I buy sets of milwakees for my work trucks. The do pretty good for the price point. Usually watch for good sales and buy a couple sets. Unfortunately cheaper to buy whole sets then replace the broken ones.

Have a sets of Irwin that i use in the shop, cobalt and hhs. They hold up great and sharpen well. Use a drill doctor 750

/ Quality drill bits for metal. #20  
I quit buying anything made by Irwin. They charge the same price for Chinese stuff as American makers do. I am especially peeved about Vise Grips. Premium price made with cheap Chinese labor. The quality has gone down too. Irwin takes advantage of both Chinese labor and American buyers.
Eric