Quality ranking of compact tractor brands

/ Quality ranking of compact tractor brands #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
I am looking at compact tractors in the 50-60 hp range. I have used internet reviews and this forum to narrow down my choices to four manufacturers. I think they are all quality tractors so I probably won't go wrong with any of them. A couple have dealers very close to me and the others are within a couple hours drive. Price is important but quality and reliability are #1 concern. The four I am looking at are below and in the order it seems to me people feel about them quality wise. Please let me know how you would rank them. These would be HST Cab tractors (Yanmar is the hybrid trans).

1- Yanmar
2- Massey Ferguson
3- Kioti
4- TYM

I suspect the first three are pretty close in reliability and maybe the TYM is a rung below them. Thanks.

/ Quality ranking of compact tractor brands #2  
Operator prudence is the #1 factor governing tractor reliability.

Prudence in operation. Prudence in maintenance.

Have you operated a tractor in the past?
Are you going to purchase a tractor with sufficient capacity for the applications you foresee?
BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.

After operator prudence, the quality of the tractor distributor's service department is #2.

A couple have dealers very close to me and the others are within a couple hours drive.

If the dealer will transport your tractor two (2) hours for service, figure on a transportation charge of $500 or more for the four (4) transport increments involved, totaling eight (8) hours of driver/mechanc time.

Last edited:
   / Quality ranking of compact tractor brands
Thanks for the quick reply jeff9366. I grew up on a cattle and chicken farm so I have operated them in the past and currently have a 25 hp subcompact tractor for slope mowing and wet ground mowing. My job list would mainly include pulling bushog for pasture mowing and using a land plane for gravel drive work. I think the 50-60 hp will be sufficient for my needs. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

/ Quality ranking of compact tractor brands #4  
A 50-horsepower tractor weighs around 4,000 pounds bare. It should be ample for your applications on 25 acres of cleared land.

A 60 horsepower tractor weighsaround 4,000 or 5,000+ pounds bare.
A 4,000 pound tractor should be ample for your applications on 25 acres of cleared land.
A 5,000 pound tractor will be heavier built. A 5,000 pound tractor should be ample for your applications on 40 acres of cleared land. The 5,000 pound bare weight tractor will be more stable but slightly less maneuverable.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR

Following 4,000 vs 5,000 pounds bare weight.

Last edited:
   / Quality ranking of compact tractor brands #5  
If your ranking is just based on those four tractors, and not any other brands like Kubota and Deere, then I would think that you could be right with your ranking, or you could flip the first two around, and flip the last two around. Yanmar and Massey are both good tractors that I would be happy to own. I have a 2022 Massey 4707, so that's what I chose when I was looking for what I thought was the best tractor out there for my farm. I looked at all four brands listed at a used tractor auction yard and from what I saw, Yanmar and Massey both held up very well for the hours on them. The other two brands did not impress me.

/ Quality ranking of compact tractor brands #6  
Yeah, surely this won't turn into a troll fest thread.

Lol.

/ Quality ranking of compact tractor brands #7  
I’d rate your top 2 close and at top. That would be the 2800m series and YT Yanmar. Both tops of the line compacts. Both made in Japan and are about as reliable as can be for feature rich machines.

They both would rate quite abit higher, but also cost quite a bit more than the other two Korean tractor makes.

For Kioti, you have options DX, NS NX, maybe some more. For TYM, you get the 20 series and the Tym 3 series like TYM T574. The TYM will be the value leader by far.

I think all are nice machines, but if money were not a worry, the two Japanese machines would be my choice. Of the Korean tractors, probably get the NS model. That’s a nice machine, but hard to pass the value of the TYM.

/ Quality ranking of compact tractor brands
I’d rate your top 2 close and at top. That would be the 2800m series and YT Yanmar. Both tops of the line compacts. Both made in Japan and are about as reliable as can be for feature rich machines.

They both would rate quite abit higher, but also cost quite a bit more than the other two Korean tractor makes.

For Kioti, you have options DX, NS NX, maybe some more. For TYM, you get the 20 series and the Tym 3 series like TYM T574. The TYM will be the value leader by far.

I think all are nice machines, but if money were not a worry, the two Japanese machines would be my choice. Of the Korean tractors, probably get the NS model. That’s a nice machine, but hard to pass the value of the TYM.
You read my mind completely. Thanks very much.

/ Quality ranking of compact tractor brands #9  
I have driven both Massey and Yanmar premium tractors. Both are excellent machines but I have to say that the Yanmar really impressed me the most. I am eventually going to buy a new tractor and Yanmar is defintely at the top of the list.

I dont know know enought about the other two to give an opinion one way or the other.

/ Quality ranking of compact tractor brands #10  
Have you ruled out LS? I have a Farmtrac 360 DTC that was built by them that's 18 year's old and has never been back to the shop, and I believe they offer a lot of things standard that many consider add on's $