Quarterly flipping of the compost

/ Quarterly flipping of the compost #1  

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
I built 3 compost bins while back, 10'x10'x4' high in the back on a concrete base and keep two of them filled with a mix of horse manure, sawdust, chicken manure, cow barn cleanout, wood chips, wood ashes, leaves, etc and flip one into an empty bin and flip the other into just emptied bin. I 'seed' it with red wigglers from my worm bed, and they multiply into thousands and do wonders for the compost.

enhance

enhance

enhance

/ Quarterly flipping of the compost #2  
TnAndy - that's a nice setup you have there. Good looking compost too.

/ Quarterly flipping of the compost #3  
Very nice setup! That's like what I plan to do when we move to our retirement farm in ~6 years.

/ Quarterly flipping of the compost
Thanks guys !

/ Quarterly flipping of the compost #5  
   / Quarterly flipping of the compost #6  
You have a beautiful place. That's almost a commercial operation. Somebody must have a large garden or a whole lot of flower beds around your property.

/ Quarterly flipping of the compost #7  
Don't you get a lot of weed seeds from the horse manure?

You aren't alone in this thought, as I have seen it many places, but I have never personally had an issue with weeds sprouting in our compost. I know our horses adore thistles, but we don't find thistle sprouts in the compost. We are pretty relaxed on the compost and turning it occasionally, but not on a schedule, and certainly not checking temperatures or anything fancy. We do leave the piles for about a year, but that's just our gardening pattern.

YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ Quarterly flipping of the compost #8  
I just have piles underneath a tree. I flip one when I need to empty the kitchen compost kept in an old 1970ish NJ garbage "can".

Ralph

Attachments

• Compost Piles Jan 2021.JPG
    Compost Piles Jan 2021.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 73
You have a beautiful place. That's almost a commercial operation. Somebody must have a large garden or a whole lot of flower beds around your property.

Couple 1/4 acre outside plots and two greenhouses.