question about 3pt sprayers

/ question about 3pt sprayers #1  

edgarrian

Platinum Member
Tractor
NA
Hello All,

I maybe in the market to get a 3 point sprayer for my tractor. It would be a category 1. I was wondering what brands most of you have used. Ill be using round up for weed control.

I don't really need a boom sprayer. Im assuming pumps hold up well when using round up as long as a guy flushes the system and correctly winterizes.

IM not looking to get a PTO driven sprayer as those are bit more expensive but would be nice. I can justify the extra costs.

Thanks for any suggestions

/ question about 3pt sprayers #3  
I do not have experience with either in actual use, but I was looking at the same Fimco from TSC, and found this at Atwoods:

SMV Industries 4-Gallon 3-Point 5TN Sprayer

The frame is steel tubing (bolted not welded) with the tank bolted to this with some extra space on the frame. 40 gal would probably work fine, but I have also been looking at tow behind versions with 60-75 gallon as well, so the extra size intrigues me, though that may not matter for you.

/ question about 3pt sprayers #4  
You can buy poly barrels cheap on CL. Pick the size you need. They come 15 gallons and up to 55 gallons. Then buy a 12VDC pump. I found one for $19 on ebay. Next, you'll nee some tubing, fittings and hose clamps. Next, you'll need a wand with valve and nozzle. All this can be had for less than $100.00. Mine was about $65.00.

I use mine for weed control, insecticide as well as spraying my fruit trees. Also, it can be used to spray car wash soap to clean the tractor.

DC 12V 7?W 13?PSI 6L/Min Water High Pressure Diaphragm Self Priming Water Pump 6??68512877? | eBay

5?+ Feet 85?15469 And/Or 85?15223 Fiber Reinforced Nylon / Plastic Hose 3/8" Id | eBay

High Pressure Power Washer Spray Gun Wand Lance Nozzle Clean Kit For Car Garden | eBay

Poly Bung Cap 2" Fine & Coarse Thread Combo w faucet for Plastic Drum Barrel | eBay

15 Pcs Stainless Steel Drive Hose Clamps Worm Clips 3/8"-1/2"(8-12 mm) | eBay

Thsi should get you started. Look on Craigs List for a poly barrel of the size you need....a 15 gallon size is about $10-15.

/ question about 3pt sprayers #5  
My Spray Rig:

2011 Polaris Ranger Diesel
Ranger Sprayer - YouTube

It began as a:
John Deere 45 Gallon Tow Behind Sprayer - #LP20485.
That I picked up used locally for $400.
Over time, though, almost of all the original moving parts have been replaced but the basic idea can still be seen.
I can't imagine life out here without that Ranger & spray rig.

If you've got the money you can buy most anything but this is how we did it here in the wilds of this north Florida farm.
Use this as a rough idea of what you may or may not want and cobble together what works for you with whatever you can gather.

/ question about 3pt sprayers #6  
I purchased one of the 25 gallon 12V no names from the local farm store about 10 years ago and other than having to clean up the switch one time it has never failed to work when I wanted. I have it mounted on an old Cub Cadet lawn tractor the wife uses for pulling her garden trailer and I hate admit it but half the time I don't clean or maintain it like I should, it keeps on working.

/ question about 3pt sprayers
   / question about 3pt sprayers #8  
Ed, before I bought my boom sprayer, I shopped all kinds. Elec, PTO, air, etc. Was told several times by different respectable sales people that unless you keep your tank in the garage when not in use, do not get a white plastic tank, as they degrade rapidly (not sure what that means) in the sunlight if stored outside. So I got a sprayer with a yellow tank. It is a heavier gauge of plastic.

If you choose to build your own, as another poster suggested, check Craigs List for sourcing your barrel. Or...I got one from my local car wash. I would assume Mike's have empty's all the time from the soap they use.

Also Roundup or glyphosate will corrode anything. So no matter what kind of pump you choose, be diligent in flushing it thoroughly after every use, tank too.

PS. I moved down here from Brownsburg. Had a house up by Eagle Creek reservoir.

Good luck in your search and decision.

sounds like a great option. do you have any pics of ur set up

You can buy poly barrels cheap on CL. Pick the size you need. They come 15 gallons and up to 55 gallons. Then buy a 12VDC pump. I found one for $19 on ebay. Next, you'll nee some tubing, fittings and hose clamps. Next, you'll need a wand with valve and nozzle. All this can be had for less than $100.00. Mine was about $65.00.

I use mine for weed control, insecticide as well as spraying my fruit trees. Also, it can be used to spray car wash soap to clean the tractor.

DC 12V 7?W 13?PSI 6L/Min Water High Pressure Diaphragm Self Priming Water Pump 6??68512877? | eBay

5?+ Feet 85?15469 And/Or 85?15223 Fiber Reinforced Nylon / Plastic Hose 3/8" Id | eBay

High Pressure Power Washer Spray Gun Wand Lance Nozzle Clean Kit For Car Garden | eBay

Poly Bung Cap 2" Fine & Coarse Thread Combo w faucet for Plastic Drum Barrel | eBay

15 Pcs Stainless Steel Drive Hose Clamps Worm Clips 3/8"-1/2"(8-12 mm) | eBay

Thsi should get you started. Look on Craigs List for a poly barrel of the size you need....a 15 gallon size is about $10-15.

Ur from brownsburg. Nice. We use to live by that huge church off of 231 north of town in that little subdivision. We built a home in the country 4 years ago. Inbetween darlington and Thorntown.

I remember a few years ago they had talked about doing some big project in brownsburg. Looks like they have it done. Kind of like a small carmel.

I have a back pack sprayer that i use to keep the weeds down with. It has some corrosion as i typically mix a bunch and then I just leave what's left in there. I have had it since we moved here. Every winter i flush, drain, and put in some rv antifreeze. Still works fine. I know with that i would have to empty and flush for sure if i were to go this route. If i can get one made for cheap then i may give it a go. I have a pole barn where i keep all that stuff. Tractor stays in the garage.

What part of Brownsburg are you around

Ed, before I bought my boom sprayer, I shopped all kinds. Elec, PTO, air, etc. Was told several times by different respectable sales people that unless you keep your tank in the garage when not in use, do not get a white plastic tank, as they degrade rapidly (not sure what that means) in the sunlight if stored outside. So I got a sprayer with a yellow tank. It is a heavier gauge of plastic.

If you choose to build your own, as another poster suggested, check Craigs List for sourcing your barrel. Or...I got one from my local car wash. I would assume Mike's have empty's all the time from the soap they use.

Also Roundup or glyphosate will corrode anything. So no matter what kind of pump you choose, be diligent in flushing it thoroughly after every use, tank too.

PS. I moved down here from Brownsburg. Had a house up by Eagle Creek reservoir.

Good luck in your search and decision.