Question about hours/usage/oil change?

/ Question about hours/usage/oil change? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I am just wondering if any of you consider the time the tractor spends idling while hooking up implements/ attaching a chain or moving stuff around before getting back in the seat, to add to the amount the hour meter shows for oil changing. My L2501 is up to 30 hours, for example, but I could probably add at least 30 min.to that time. I don't think the meter registers while sitting idling, does it? I can see where some people could have much more from sitting than moving. Maybe a construction company or such. Just curious as what you all think on such? Yeah, I'm bored tonight...lol. :laughing:

/ Question about hours/usage/oil change? #2  
Any meter I have been around on a tractor orsuch, runs off the key switch, so, it registers while ideling or running wide open throttle. It is also possible to run the meter up even if the engine isn't running, but if you leave the key in the on position. I have heard of stories tht operators have forgot to turn key off over night or longer and add hours to their tractors even though the engine was off.

/ Question about hours/usage/oil change? #4  
The tractors I have owned are based on engine speed to register hours.
At or near PTO speed for 1 hour will register 1 hour.
Lower engine speeds still register hours, but at a slower rate.
Many of the newer machines have electric hour meters. ( clock hours, not based on engine speed)

/ Question about hours/usage/oil change? #5  
Write down your hours and leave the key on overnight. Check the hours in the morning and see what happens.

/ Question about hours/usage/oil change?
Lots of interesting replies on different brands in that thread.

Any meter I have been around on a tractor orsuch, runs off the key switch, so, it registers while ideling or running wide open throttle. It is also possible to run the meter up even if the engine isn't running, but if you leave the key in the on position. I have heard of stories tht operators have forgot to turn key off over night or longer and add hours to their tractors even though the engine was off.

This would make sense. I might leave the key on for say 30 min. and see if it registers.

Write down your hours and leave the key on overnight. Check the hours in the morning and see what happens.

Probably be a dead battery in the morning the way my luck runs with batteries...lol :(

/ Question about hours/usage/oil change? #9  
In my experiences, if it's a digital hour meter it clicks off time when the key is on. If it's an odometer style it is cable driven off the engine and only clicks off time when the engine is running. And it's geared to be accurate at PTO rpm speed.