Question about post hole auger teeth

/ Question about post hole auger teeth #1  

Scott65

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota L3301
I've read through some threads here on tbn and looked around on ebay and such but I'm a little confused about my options. I've recently purchased a used phd with an auger that has the twisty pilot bit, but completely smooth cutting edges. It's not doing so hot in my rocky area. I don't want to buy one of these $2k rock bits, nor could I even if I had to. I see listed on ebay Jeffery and Pengo teeth but I'm not sure if they only fit certain bits? I'm needing a smaller diameter bit, so I'll probably go to tsc and get the 6". Can I modify the blades by simply drilling holes and bolting these teeth on?

/ Question about post hole auger teeth #2  
You will find that most of the teeth will be designed to be pounded into pockets on the augers edge. No reason you could not get some flat teeth and bolt them on the bit. Rocky areas are hard to do without down pressure. If you are going to do very many it might be better to mark where you want the holes and rent a bobcat,with the proper bit. If bolting on teeth buy some extra as they will get lost or torn off.

/ Question about post hole auger teeth
Thanks for replying. By saying the teeth that hammer into pockets, you make me envision the aggressive knobby rock bits with the round teeth. Sorry, I'm sure thats what I described, but not really what I was after. I'm sure thats whats best for rock, but I'm hoping to get away with a bit less.

teeth.jpg

I believe your talking about the ones on the right?

I was meaning more like the 3 to the left. I'm not sure how effective these are in rock? I'm not talking solid rock, mostly loose baseball-ish sized mixed in caliche (spelling?). I haven't purchased one of these land pride augers yet, but I'm not aware of any teeth like this marketed for them. So is it "acceptable" to just drill holes in the cutting flanges to bolt some of these teeth in? Anyone used one of these bits in rocky-ish soil? I don't want to demolish a brand new auger for no reason. However, at $130, its certainly worth it if you think it may do some good.

Sorry for the mix up, I should have googled that picture in the first place. That probably makes it much clearer

/ Question about post hole auger teeth
Sorry, to answer your response about renting the bobcat. I've recently purchased the property I'm living on. I'm looking at years of projects. I'm hoping to come up with a reasonably priced auger solution to work with the machine that I've got. If I can, I'll save only the hardest holes for renting a machine.

I've also looked at the down pressure kits. They look incredibly simple to build. The hardest part will be adding the rear remotes to the tractor, which I need to do anyway for the top and tilt that I want to add someday