Question about starters and fuel

/ Question about starters and fuel #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
Which is better:
Say for example I'm splitting firewood and I use the tractor to manipulate the big rounds. I mount the honking hunk of wood on the splitter with the Grapple and then back the tractor up a bit and open the grapple and lower it and tilt it so I can use it as a handy table to put the larger hunks while I'm reducing the rest to cordwood.

Which is better:
1) To idle the tractor while I'm splitting burning expensive fuel
or
2) to use the starter every 15 or 20 minutes

/ Question about starters and fuel #2  
Which is better:
Say for example I'm splitting firewood and I use the tractor to manipulate the big rounds. I mount the honking hunk of wood on the splitter with the Grapple and then back the tractor up a bit and open the grapple and lower it and tilt it so I can use it as a handy table to put the larger hunks while I'm reducing the rest to cordwood.

Which is better:
1) To idle the tractor while I'm splitting burning expensive fuel
or
2) to use the starter every 15 or 20 minutes
Don't know if this applies to todays tech. In the old days we would always idle a diesel rather than restart. High compression engines are tougher on starters and batteries. Diesels like to idle more than they like to start, just give it throttle once in a while to keep it from wet stacking.

best,

ed

/ Question about starters and fuel
   / Question about starters and fuel #4  
You think you're burning expensive fuel....buying one starter will burn up all the savings you could ever make not burning fuel. Yes, they can idle all day around here See, them starters done inflated up too.

/ Question about starters and fuel #5  
Agree. Starters & batteries are insanely expensive now (suggest rebuilding starters when possible) and more expensive than idling.
Is this a DPF tractor? Idling is less desirable on DPFs
I’d probably want to see exactly how much idling we are talking about. Also would help to know how many additional hours of running & idling you are doing.

/ Question about starters and fuel #6  
Non DEF and DPF idle away, give her a good goose once in a while.
And a nice moderate throttle run to go and park her for the night.

/ Question about starters and fuel #8  
I’m going to go the other way5 minutes, yes let it idle, 15 minutes, I’d shut it off. It will still be warm and start easy unless it’s really cold out, then I’d let it idle.
That's about the same that I do, too. All of ours are easy starters - especially when warm and that makes a difference too.

/ Question about starters and fuel #9  
That's about the same that I do, too. All of ours are easy starters - especially when warm and that makes a difference too.
I wonder about the new vehicles that shut off when you come to a traffic light and then restart again. Wonder how long the starters will last???

/ Question about starters and fuel #10  
If you dislike that feature, you can cancel it with the push of a button.