Question about towing with my new truck

/ Question about towing with my new truck #11  
bialecki said:
With the 2008 Ford Tow Command do you still need a brake controller such as the prodigy unit?

Im pretty sure its now built in - My F550 has it built in ready to roll, and is integrated with the ABS systems

/ Question about towing with my new truck #12  
I don't think you even need it with the diesel. It should go out of o.d. when climbing hills and with electric brakes you should be ok. With your truck it's really not all that heavy of a load, especially where it's flat.

/ Question about towing with my new truck
Thanks to all for the opinions so far. I will certainly try the Tow Haul feature next time I pull. As for how the truck does without it, it does seemingly fine. The only issue I have noted is the wastegate opened once going up one particularly steep hill to my parents' home when pulling the load. The truck pulled OK and the temps, etc. were fine, but I wonder if in tow/haul mode if that would have happened (it is always unnerving to me due to the underhood chatter it makes--my other truck--a 2002--did the same). As soon as the hill was crested, the waste gate chatter stopped and it was happy towing again. This truck seems to have the power to pull an 8000# load without any struggle, but I figured the tow haul was there for a reason and living where it is quite hilly, I thought I might should use it more. Thanks again.

John M

/ Question about towing with my new truck #14  
bialecki said:
With the 2008 Ford Tow Command do you still need a brake controller such as the prodigy unit?

The electric brake controler is factory installed and integrated with both the transmission and engine computers. It is part of the Tow command package and is a factory installed option.

The tow/haul on the automatic torqshift is standard with the transmission and not part of the tow command package and does not have an electric brake controler.

/ Question about towing with my new truck #15  
If you live in the hills, I would certainly use it when pulling anything moderately heavy. If I my 3 horse trailer is REALLY loaded.. I occasionally use it (10,000#'s or more). I am almost always on the flat lands, so my tranny does not get worked that hard anyway. Besides... the computer will make it downshift as needed to keep the tranny cool... and if that still doesn't work, the idiot light comes on.... the only hills I tow are the flint hill of eastern KS in I-70 and have never had it downshift for temp or seen the idiot light come on. Obviously my situation is way different than yours so take it FWIW.

/ Question about towing with my new truck #16  
Your best bet is to ask on TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

Unless your truck is hunting for a gear (upshifting/downshifting) I wouldn't use it on the flatland. I can't comment on the hills, but some of the guys on that site will help you out. You should be registered anyways, it's the best Ford Diesel site on the net!

I own an 02 for the record :)

/ Question about towing with my new truck #17  
Marcussen said:
The electric brake controler is factory installed and integrated with both the transmission and engine computers. It is part of the Tow command package and is a factory installed option.

The tow/haul on the automatic torqshift is standard with the transmission and not part of the tow command package and does not have an electric brake controler.

That is great to know seeing that I just took delivery of my new 08 Ford SD 250 with the tow package. I plan on using the truck to tow my Kubota B7800, FEL and Woods BH-70X ~ weight 4,000 pounds.

See the attached picture of the truck still on the dealer's lot :)

Attachments

• DSCF1627.JPG
    DSCF1627.JPG
    462.5 KB · Views: 177
   / Question about towing with my new truck #18  
bialecki said:
That is great to know seeing that I just took delivery of my new 08 Ford SD 250 with the tow package. I plan on using the truck to tow my Kubota B7800, FEL and Woods BH-70X ~ weight 4,000 pounds.

See the attached picture of the truck still on the dealer's lot :)

Just not on your truck - just kidding :D show us some pictures when you get it

It should be in the lower dash, with two buttons and a small display which probably wont light unless you push the buttons or have something hooked up the the rear pigtail

/ Question about towing with my new truck #19  
Tow / haul features are meant to be used. It's a bit surprizing that folks don't want to use it. It's far more than just an OD lockout. Raises shift points, less slip between shifts (firmer), TC lock points, and a lot more. Just hit the button and go. On the hhighway, you won't see much diff, but you will everywhere else. It should also make that expensive trans last a lot longer. But hey, it's your $5k rebuild ....

jb

/ Question about towing with my new truck #20  
On my GM truck I use tow mode when hauling something on the trailer. It raises the shift points so the engine doesn't lug. It also works as a braking assist when slowing down by automatically downshifting. Mine also has the overdrive lockout function. I would guess your F250 tow mode works similar. Use it and your engine / transmission will run cooler and last longer.