Question about zero turn transaxles

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #1  

sendero

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
I bought my first zero-turn mower last fall. I'm kicking myself because if I'd have any idea how superior it would be compared to my garden tractor mower, I would have done it years ago.

The mower is a Gravely ZT X 52. I love it performance. It was a year old when I bought it and the previous owner said I should take it to the local retail/service place soon and get the transaxle fluid changed.

Now I am a DIY kinda guy so I did the research, bought the filters and oil and was ready to get it done. But I could not find the fluid reservoirs or the filters. Turns out that is because it doesn't have any, it is built with "non serviceable
transaxles. They are "sealed units" as they are called. Now if I had known that is what I was getting (and apparently the previous owner didn't know either) I would have not bought this thing.

It uses the hydro-gear ZT-2200 units and to be completely factual you CAN change the fluid but you have to take them out of the mower to do so.

Now to my question. How long (running hours) can I expect to get out of these units? Apparently they are used in several low-end "residential" mowers. I don' beat this thing to death, a typical mowing session would last less than an hour.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #2  
Keep the dirt and debris off the cooling fins and make sure cooling fans are in good shape presuming they have fans. Doing this you should get years of service out of them.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #3  
I might be a little concerned with them.

• NEW – Now serviceable with optional drain ports for easy oil changes

This tells me they weren't lasting as long as they planned.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #4  
I agree with oldnslo's comments about keeping the fins clean and confirming the fans are in good order. Some hydraulic units are lifetime fill, like my hydraulic walk behind... Although the fluid can be drained easily enough.

I looked at an online manual, and they do state that the drive you have is basically a lifetime fill, but they do give instructions on checking / replacing the fluid. I suspect you found this manual, as it clearly states that the unit must be removed to do so. Why they didn't put a drain at the bottom is beyond me.

Is it possible that the fluid could be drained by cracking the case while installed? I'll bet someone on YouTube has some experience with replacing the fluid while installed in the machine. I think I would at least check the level, which should be easy enough.

All that said, I think I would be satisfied with checking the level, keep the cooling items cleaned and functional, and call it good!

On edit... After reading Bearsixty7's post, I think I may be a little more aggressive in changing the fluid at some point. Different animal, but my transaxle specs fluid changes at 400 hours. That may be a lifetime interval for your use. For me it's yearly.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #5  
I haven't got my Toro ZT out yet but I'm thinking, (scary thought I know) Don't the older ones have a raised or depressed boss where the drain port is now? I thought it was a depressed boss with a raised ring around it, I meant to look last year before I put it to bed for the winter but I forgot. Reason I was thinking about this is I noticed mine was getting lazy after it warmed up a bit and didn't seem to have the power it did when I bought it
If it does have the boss, what are the thoughts about drilling and tapping a 1/4"NPT or even 1/8" NPT hole in the case to use as a drain. Actually, it wouldn't have to be a pipe thread, it could be a standard bolt thread with a copper of fiber crush washer.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #6  
I haven't got my Toro ZT out yet but I'm thinking, (scary thought I know) Don't the older ones have a raised or depressed boss where the drain port is now? I thought it was a depressed boss with a raised ring around it, I meant to look last year before I put it to bed for the winter but I forgot. Reason I was thinking about this is I noticed mine was getting lazy after it warmed up a bit and didn't seem to have the power it did when I bought it
If it does have the boss, what are the thoughts about drilling and tapping a 1/4"NPT or even 1/8" NPT hole in the case to use as a drain. Actually, it wouldn't have to be a pipe thread, it could be a standard bolt thread with a copper of fiber crush washer.
The only problem with that is the aluminum case. Now, if you had a threaded boss made of steel, with threads on inside for your drain plug, and threads on outside for your case, that would work. Or, you can just put a hole in the top, get a barb fitting, and get a plastic reservoir off another mower, and plumb it to run in oil all the time. Some mowers have reservoirs on each side. It's easier to see if you have a drive problem with those. Plus, if you have to drain it, use a suction gun, or remove and turn upside down. Keep your tensioner working freely on your drive belt. Seen those get stiff, throws the belt, belt hops over pulley, ruins fans on pulleys.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #7  
The only problem with that is the aluminum case.
You think threading the aluminum case would be a problem? I would imagine the casting would be think enough to hold a fine thread bolt if a person didn't want to use a pipe thread. I'm also assuming there is already a fill port..that I would be leery of drilling and tapping as the crap would fall into the transmission.
You've got my curiosity piqued now, I'm going to have to dig the ole' rig out this weekend LOL.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #8  
I have no doubt the sealed tranny will outlive the air cooled engine. There are many cars with sealed transmissions running 200K+ miles.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #9  
Taking them out is the only option for drain and fill.
1st rule of thumb and especially on ZTR's that are going to be heavily used is to buy based on Transmission first. The heavier duty they are the better.

Now, if you are just cutting 1/2 acre lot then no problem.

/ Question about zero turn transaxles #10  
I have no doubt the sealed tranny will outlive the air cooled engine. There are many cars with sealed transmissions running 200K+ miles.

I wouldn’t take that bet. The lower end mower transmissions aren’t exactly known for their long lasting durability.