Question for 1460 owners on center pin lubrication

/ Question for 1460 owners on center pin lubrication #1  

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
A rainy day here in CT so doing the 8 hr interval greasing on my 1460 and checking the center pin torque (pic attached if you have never seen yours).

It has 24 hrs on it and it is the first time I noticed it has grease fittings on both sides of the lower center pin boss (and only on the right side of the upper pin).

Now logic tells me the grease fittings on both sides can't be for convenience, So it must need grease from both sides. Has anyone talked to PT on this?

Also out of all the loader grease fittings, two would be hard to grease, so I rotated those 180 deg, now they grease easily.

Attachments

• 1460 center pin.jpeg
    1460 center pin.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 93
   / Question for 1460 owners on center pin lubrication #2  
That grease setup is much nicer than trying to reach the top and bottom fittings that mine has.

Ken

/ Question for 1460 owners on center pin lubrication #3  
That whole joint looks way better than mine. On mine you can grease from the bottom or either side. I do believe the grease on both sides is for convenience.

/ Question for 1460 owners on center pin lubrication
The only problem with the "convenience" theroy is you still have to walk around to the other side to grease the upper pin. And like Henery Ford and the model T, Power Trac doesn't put to many convenient only features on the tractors, I mumble every time I carry a chain in my lap.

/ Question for 1460 owners on center pin lubrication #5  
I did talk to Terry about this on my 1445, a long time ago. IIRC, he said that because of the weight (force) on the pin due steering, dual zerks were needed to get grease to the side under pressure.

So, yes, I grease both sides every time. I just wish the upper forward zerk were more accessible, but that's where my Anzo locking coupler really shines.

All the best,

Peter

/ Question for 1460 owners on center pin lubrication
Now the way I understand it, the upper forward is a 50 hour grease interval, correct?

/ Question for 1460 owners on center pin lubrication #7  
Now the way I understand it, the upper forward is a 50 hour grease interval, correct?
I have treated it like every other grease point, I grease it every 8 hrs, per the manual. I wouldn't say that I have always greased it every 8.0 hours, but close, and always before any extended, or heavy use.

All the best,

Peter