Question on Massey Ferguson top link bracket on tractor

/ Question on Massey Ferguson top link bracket on tractor #1  

Randalthor

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 4225
I have a Massey Ferguson 4225 4X4 tractor. The bracket looks like this (even though this isn't my tractor). This top link bracket is fairly standard for Cat 2 linkage for Massey Ferguson, and has been used for a long time. Notice how the bracket pins at the bottom, with about a 1/2 diameter pin, and the top of the bracket pins into the draft control piston. The bracket has 3 different holes to pin the adjustable top link. Pretty standard right?

1672883938406.png

However my question focuses on the pin circled in the same pic below. See the pin I circled in blue below? That pin goes all the way underneath the 3 point bracket to the other side. The top link bracket doesn't hook to it. Nothing hooks to it. It appears to be a random pin, but it's got to be for something. Anyone know?

Pin.jpg

/ Question on Massey Ferguson top link bracket on tractor #2  
I have a Massey Ferguson 4225 4X4 tractor. The bracket looks like this (even though this isn't my tractor). This top link bracket is fairly standard for Cat 2 linkage for Massey Ferguson, and has been used for a long time. Notice how the bracket pins at the bottom, with about a 1/2 diameter pin, and the top of the bracket pins into the draft control piston. The bracket has 3 different holes to pin the adjustable top link. Pretty standard right?

View attachment 777798

However my question focuses on the pin circled in the same pic below. See the pin I circled in blue below? That pin goes all the way underneath the 3 point bracket to the other side. The top link bracket doesn't hook to it. Nothing hooks to it. It appears to be a random pin, but it's got to be for something. Anyone know?

View attachment 777799

I closer picture as well as from different angles would likely help in analyzing. It might be a lock out pin to prevent the bracket from putting pressure on the draft control piston. Just a guess at this point.

/ Question on Massey Ferguson top link bracket on tractor #3  
I agree with loggin. It's just the lock for the draft control. Basically won't let the top link bracket push in and activate the draft control. Draft control should always be locked when not in use, to avoid accidental raise of the 3 pt and extra wear and tear.

/ Question on Massey Ferguson top link bracket on tractor #4  
I think that pin is for some Ferguson specific attachments like a pick up hitch. Its also on the 240 which has a completely different draft set up.

/ Question on Massey Ferguson top link bracket on tractor #5  
I think that pin is for some Ferguson specific attachments like a pick up hitch. Its also on the 240 which has a completely different draft set up.
Yes, Ferguson has used something called the "long pin" through the housing going back to models from the 40s. I've seen modern owners attach limiter chains to the long pin.

/ Question on Massey Ferguson top link bracket on tractor
Yes, Ferguson has used something called the "long pin" through the housing going back to models from the 40s. I've seen modern owners attach limiter chains to the long pin.
Thanks. Apparently it looks like that pin is some kind of hold over from many decades past. Here's something I found discussing it on another forum

/ Question on Massey Ferguson top link bracket on tractor #7  
Hello Randelthor, the pin circled in blue was for a Massey Ferguson specific 3ph fertiliser spreader.
The pins on the standard top link mount are so it can be removed to allow access to the bendy(folds 90 degrees for clearance ) pin in the back.