question on pto attachments

/ question on pto attachments #1  

jol1269

Silver Member
Tractor
p.t. 425
well guys ill be hooking up the planterhead and 12'' auger tomorrow to dig 8 holes for posts but my question is when i hook up the hoses do i need to do anything special to ensure that the hyd. pump has all oil and no air in it prior to turning the pump on to operate the auger i havent unhooked the hoses since i bought it this past oct when i bought the 425 or can i just hook it up and run it

/ question on pto attachments #2  
If it is like any of the other attachments just hook up the hydraulic hoses and turn the pto switch on when you are ready to start drilling.

/ question on pto attachments #3  
Ernemats is right. On all the hydraulic implements, you just plug and go. The air, if any, purges into the tank, not the pump. (I called and asked Terry the same question before my first post holes.)

/ question on pto attachments #4  
jol1269,

I would very much like to here how the planter drill works for drilling vertical post holes. I've been tossing back and forth between getting the planter drill for extra torque for bigger planting bits or getting the post hole drill because it swivels and keeps bit vertical for fence posts. For instance, with the planter drill head, do you have to constantly adjust the curl as you go deeper. Actually, I would like to here from anyone who has used either. Thanks.

/ question on pto attachments #5  
<font color="red"> the post hole drill because it swivels and keeps bit vertical for fence posts. </font>
I've done a fair number of holes with the post hole head and auger. It does tend to walk sideways a bit when it hits a rock or root, and the swivel lets it do so. It is helpful to have someone watching the bit and signaling so you can turn the wheel for side to side or move a little forward or back. Takes some practice to do reasonably vertical holes. It's a lot more precise and easier to control than a 3-point auger, and the down pressure lets you drill where the 3-point just quits. Can't comment on the planter head.

/ question on pto attachments
well i used the auger and it worked like a charm on this hard red georgia clay much better than the old post hole diggers i used to have ...lol . any how got a whopping 8 hrs as of now and had it since my birthday in oct. and love it but i have already cut out a parking area and moved in some 57 stone as well as 20 yards of mulch and the post holes i figure to do all of this by hand and shovel and wheelbarrow prob. saved me a good 40-50 hrs of hard labor in this clay . gotta get a camera as the machine has really pleased me so far . i also called on the used pt 425 at power trac and scott said that it was the older 3 point mount type ... i was bout to buy it too ........glad i called before driving to taz

/ question on pto attachments #7  
planter auger bits are usually shallow bits, one to two feet deep. if you need to go deeper with a landscape bit, there are extensions available. constant adjustment should not be a big factor. one advantage of a planter auger head, is that you can start a hole on a hill or berm at an angle and then go vertical. on the other hand, a posthole auger trying to dig on a hill will flop around quit a bit. a post hole auger head could be locked down with a bracket so as not to swivel.

j.j.