Question On PTO Speeds...

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
I'll be running a 3pt. snowblower this winter. It's my first pto attachment.

Do I need to always run the blower at 540rpms. My tractor is rated at like 2700rpms to reach 540.

If we get a 6" storm can I run the blower at, say....2000rpm's.?? Or, is this not good for the equipment.??

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #2  
You are going to get two schools of thought here. Some run just enough PTO RPM to handle the load. Some always run at the recommended PTO speed. I always run PTO equipment at the recommended RPM for the tractor and implement. Running less than the recommended recommended PTO speed will, in some cases, save fuel. And less RPM's on my tractor runs up less hours on the hour meter. An hour at PTO speed is an hour on my tractor hour meter. An hour at 1/2 PTO speed is 1/2 hour on my hour meter. I can't say one way is better way than the other. Just my personal preference.

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #3  
implements are designed to run at 540 pto speed, some implements will operate at slower speeds, some will not. With the blower it will not hurt anything, except the snow will not blow as far and if wet may plug up in the shoot. As far as the tractor it will not hurt anything either way. I have heard of people with 1000 RPM PTO running at less RPM to achieve 540 PTO speed with less fuel consumption, this usually requires PTO shaft adapters of some sort.

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #4  
The only thing that I won't do is "lug" the tractor motor. I would run enough RPM's on the implement to prevent it from "lugging" the tractor motor.

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #5  
And less RPM's on my tractor runs up less hours on the hour meter. An hour at PTO speed is an hour on my tractor hour meter. An hour at 1/2 PTO speed is 1/2 hour on my hour meter.

I always thought an hour of running is an hour on the meter no matter if you were idling or running balls out???

How is the hour meter wired and configured to base its time on the speed of the engine or PTO?

Please explain this one to me........

Craig

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #6  
implements are designed to run at 540 pto speed, some implements will operate at slower speeds, some will not. With the blower it will not hurt anything, except the snow will not blow as far and if wet may plug up in the shoot. As far as the tractor it will not hurt anything either way. I have heard of people with 1000 RPM PTO running at less RPM to achieve 540 PTO speed with less fuel consumption, this usually requires PTO shaft adapters of some sort.

plus 1 . use common sense.

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #7  
   / Question On PTO Speeds... #8  
I always thought an hour of running is an hour on the meter no matter if you were idling or running balls out???

How is the hour meter wired and configured to base its time on the speed of the engine or PTO?

Craig

I can't tell you how it's wired but I can tell you that the manual for my Ford 1520 says something similar: engine running time at rpms below 1,850 accumulates hour meter hours slower than clock time, running time at rpms above 1,850 accumulates hour meter hours faster than clock time.

The 540 PTO rpm marked on my tach is 2,300 engine rpms.

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #9  

Craig

I"ll have to read my owners manual. I have no documentation to prove this it at this time. It's just what I have observed while running my tractor. Sometimes I use the tractor and loader all day just above idle speed. Maybe my hour meter isn't working correctly.

/ Question On PTO Speeds... #10