Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn

/ Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
My storage area is my pole barn. I am trying to improve the organization and lighting. I have recently added 2 UFO lights which helped a lot over a 20x20 area (roughly). My thought process was to finish some of the walls and add some french cleaning to get more things off the floor and paint the walls white so I can brighten things up and see better. It is a gravel floor on most of it now.

I have never done anything like this. My plan was to add some 1/2 OSB or plywood (whatever is cheaper and works) over the studs and then I'd attached the cleats to that. All electrical comes down from the ceiling with no boxes where I'd be closing it up.

I don't know if I should be adding anything in between in terms of insulation or anything to keep out critters. I don't even know if that matters.

Any gaping holes in this plan from your experience?

/ Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn #2  
Insulation won't keep critters out - they like to use it for nests. I do have insulation in my pole building and the walls are mostly finished with (I think) 7/16" OSB. I surface mounted conduit for electrical boxes at about the four foot level. I find that handier than normal outlet height. So far the only downside is size - the building isn't big enough. I've been told none are.

/ Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn #3  
If it's an unheated storage building, skip the insulation. As for OSB or plywood, I'd find a saw mill and use rough cut 1x. My local sawmill sells pine or hemlock 1x8x8 for $3.20 a board. OSB/Chipboard at the local big box is $43/sheet for 7/16".

/ Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn
That is a good idea. I have a mill the next block over and will have to check. I think OSB 7/16 is about 36 here at the moment at HD. It isn't heated and I have no need to really keep it warm. If I'm doing a project I bring out the torpedo heater.

/ Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn #5  
If it's an unheated storage building, skip the insulation. As for OSB or plywood, I'd find a saw mill and use rough cut 1x. My local sawmill sells pine or hemlock 1x8x8 for $3.20 a board. OSB/Chipboard at the local big box is $43/sheet for 7/16".
$44 a sheet on the opposite side of the country and 3/8s ply is $36 a sheet. I think I would 2nd the notion of finding some utility 1x material cheaper.

/ Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn #6  
Sheet or boards, whatever is cheaper, except the OSB has a tendency to flake off with high humidity. My preference is plywood because it doesn't delaminate and helps to reinforce the building.

Electrical outlets - just above 4' so you can lean sheet goods against the wall and still have access to the outlet.

/ Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn #7  
If you plan on building a bench top or countertop, I suggest putting pegboard on the wall above the counter.

Are you talking about an entire board or per board foot?

/ Question on semi-finishing the interior of my barn #9  
If you are adding the finishing in hope's of keeping things cleaner,it won't help as long as floor is gravel. The same investment in lumber and sheet goods will build free standing shelving. I totally agree that white paint on walls and ceiling does a lot for lighting as well as overall appearance.
As for precurment of material,try demolision contractors. I'm retired so have time to ferret around. I've made more money during Covid than I was making previously. Amungist other persuits,I "take care of" 2 guys at different demolision companies. They can't give permission for scavanging (thanks to lawyers) but they tip me off in advance of tearing places down. I look for things that can be repurposed, I usually tell a scrapper that take's things to sell at scrap yard. He in turn help's me for a reasonable per hour wage. I hit a home run summer of 2020 when walls of a house turned out to be high grade 1x Redwood. We spent 3 days removing boards,pulling nails,hauling and stacking. Prime market was boat builders that restore vintage yachts.

A couple of mills replied back about some rough cut. I am no expert and know that type of wood and quality may vary. I don't need top-quality for what I'm doing in the barn, but would hope things are reasonably straight and dimensional.

1x6x8' (hemlock) = $6.60 = $1.65/board foot
1x10x10'(spruce) = $9.00 = $0.84/board foot

I think the goals are just to cover the walls to paint help lighten things up and provide support for a french cleat or two to get stuff off the floor. I already have shelves, but the stuff I need to get up is more awkward. Part of it may be me just having cabin fever as well and wanting to tackle a building only I see first vs. my garage which may be next.