Question tractor size?

/ Question tractor size? #1  

RADIUM

Gold Member
Tractor
NEW HOLLAND 2420
Questions what size tractor for a 5 bottom plow for land that has not been farmed in 60 years? About 140 acres we have reclaimed from what used to be our tree farm some fields were just open pastures looking at TD95 or TL-A100. I love NEW HOLLAND I have TC40DA but that just for snow blowing lawn & filed mowing ,also i have looked at JOHN DEER 6215 what do you guys think of that full-length frame? the dealer says it will absorb load stresses & longer component life? the prices between TL-A & 6215 are very close the TL just a little cheeper. I think the TD95 is too small for what i have planned, but much less money then the other two. Well let me know what you guys think. thanks your always so helpful .

/ Question tractor size? #2  
Any of your choices may work. How about more info, type of soil & topography? how long have those trees & what type been gone? Fresh roots can stop any of your choices cold. May need a dozer with rippers.

Back when I was looking at tractors I recall a Deere 6300 MFWD had an extremely LARGE turning radius.

Your plow type also makes a difference. A 2 or 3 pt hitch adds traction weight to the tractor a pull type or on-land hitch needs more tractor to work. Calculate the ripping force needed by the plow in your soil characteristics and go from there.

Take a look at the fuel consumption rates on the Nebraska Tractor Tests. The Deere may deliver more pull & better ride but slurp more fuel in trade.

/ Question tractor size?
Thanks for the quick response, my brother has all ready removed the trees & stumps with his excavator & bulldozer nice toys :). my concern is the rest of the farm 45% that had nothing in them but hay not turn over 40 years its like concrete. the plow is a pul type both dealers said their machines would do including the TD95.I guess what i want to know will they take the years of work ahead of tilling harvesting and all around farm work , I have learned that you can never have to much power or can you? Now i don't have the ponderosa although it feels like it :),but i feel i need one machine that can do every thing i ask of it, without regretting i should have gone bigger in the first places. While at the same time i don't need 150 pto i believe the 3 units are the right zone for my needs but which one?

/ Question tractor size? #4  
Why would you need "new " for that many acres ,an older ford 7000-7600-7610 ,8210,7740-7840 .
6 cylinder runs sweeter and regardless of what "people say" Use less fuel than a 4 cyl that's struggling ( better torque)
This pic .
Ford 7810 , 100 engine hp ,1988, 6 cylinder.( look at the plow ?) 550 acres a year .

/ Question tractor size? #5  
I just got a new TD95D a few months ago and used it to plow and plant my winter wheat. I wanted to turn the soil deep this time so first borrowed a 6 row subsoiler from a neighbor then pulled a 14 foot wide old disc behind it with the wheels off, making it go as deep as it could. That little 4 cylinder never even got to breathing hard. It did my wheat pastures on very little fuel too. Little compared to how much propane I used to go through in my old tractor anyway. I also did both my neighbors pastures with it and used less fuel than they ever have. One of them has a Kubota and one has a big old JD 6 cylinder tractor.
I'm the only one with a cab and AC so that made a big difference too.

That TD95D is a really nice tractor for the price. I'm farming about as much as you now and don't regret this purchase one bit.

/ Question tractor size? #6  
RADIUM said:
Questions what size tractor for a 5 bottom plow for land that has not been farmed in 60 years? .

15 hp for each plow share. I have a farmer who farms my land (he pays me rent for each acre) and he tilled it after lying fallow for 5 years. Each fall he comes in and turns dirt after harvesting the corn. This year he chiseled it. I rode with him and had him rip some new untilled/fallow areas. Then I run through it with my 3 bottom plow. Much easier than plowing virgin soil as he has already found the big rocks and broken the soil. Sort of "warmed" up the ground if you know what I mean. His NH is 4 wheel drive, 425 HP. Make my little 70 hp NH TN70A look puny.
Bob

/ Question tractor size? #7  
Those tractors might pull 5 14" bottoms in your soils, but not handle 5 20" bottoms. They would be marginal or less in my area for a 5- 16" plow. So you really don't describe your plow size accurately. The full- frame feature on the Deere is not a distinct advantage, just a design difference with marketing spin added. The full- frame design allows them to use components (engine block, etc.) that are not strong enough to be structural elements.

/ Question tractor size? #8  
I agree.. the difference between a 12/14 and a 16 bottom is big in hp range. A ford N is a 2 bottom machine if you are talking 12/14.. but onle a single if talking a 16... etc..

soundguy