Questions about fluids and filters for 50-hour maintenance for LS MT240E-HST

/ Questions about fluids and filters for 50-hour maintenance for LS MT240E-HST #1  

Delapagerie

Tractor
LSMT240E HST
Hi all,

Forgive me if the answer to this is someplace obvious, but I have searched and searched for the answer in the forums--including the sticky post of LS Oil, Gas, and Filters--and I cannot find it.

I have a new LS MT240E HST that's eight hours away from its 50 maintenance.

My dealership told me that it should be a filters and complete fluids change. I believe I can get all the filters from them, as far as I know are oil, hydraulic, and HST filters.

The manual recommends a fluid with a rating of GL4 and an ISO VG 32/46. But the dealership recommended something different. The dealership recommended a GL4 fluid with an ISO of greater than 65. I'm having a problem finding the type of hydraulic fluid they recommended.

I can find some that are a bit greater on Amazon. This one is ISO 68 and almost double the price of all the others listed below: Amazon.com: Mobil DTE 26, Hydraulic, ISO 68, 5 gal. : Automotive

I can find some that are close on Amazon: ISO of 55 at 40 degrees centigrade -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NHJXTH/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1UZMJJOVEC3U&th=1

but another LS MT240 owner recommended this Shell fluid, which he said was closer to ISO 68. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ersal-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal-pail?cm_vc=-10005

Tractor Supply doesn't offer the ISO. The only data I could find on the ISO was here, and it says it was an ISO of 60. https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/29b86953-ec15-4ef6-b490-f7b42207f79c.pdf

Also, the my owner's manual says the capacity of the hydraulic system is 8.5 US. gallons. My dealer told me that a 5 gal pail would be enough, which seems to disagree with the manual.

So my questions are these:

--is the manual correct saying that it will take 8.5 US. gals of hydraulic fluid to completely replace it?

--what fluid would you use? The Mobil fluid that is ISO 68 (which is the most expensive)
Or is the Shell hydraulic fluid okay?
Or do you recommend something else?

I've hired a guy to come out Thursday to do the actual work, and I'll be learning how to the work at the same time so I can do myself next time.

But I need to have everything here and ready for him.

Any info, feedback, or details would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance for whatever help you can give!

Last edited:
   / Questions about fluids and filters for 50-hour maintenance for LS MT240E-HST #2  
Also, the my owner's manual says the capacity of the hydraulic system is 8.5 US. gallons. My dealer told me that a 5 gal pail would be enough, which seems to disagree with the manual.
The manual also says to only check the hydraulic fluid at the 50hr mark, it is due for it's first replacement to 500 hours, not 50. You may lose a few cups when you change both hydro filters, but you do not need to change it all until 500 hours.
The guy you have coming hopefully knows the shop-vac trick so you don't lose much fluid.

It is pretty easy to service, I understand wanting to watch someone the first time, but you can probably do it yourself relatively easy. Again, 500 hours for the hydro fluid, and make sure the guy uses a vacuum on the fill port when he pulls the main hydro filter, or everything will drain out. The HST filter won't drain everything, just the large main filter.

The manual says API GL4, so use that for the couple cups on make-up fluid you might need. Basically buy a gallon or 2 gallon jug. If you need more than a few cups (i.e. gallons) someone screwed up!
Make it simple, you'll see GL4 on the back Super Tech Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid, 2 Gallons - Walmart.com

Read over this thread MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to?

Last edited:
   / Questions about fluids and filters for 50-hour maintenance for LS MT240E-HST #3  
I had the dealer do my 50 hour just to make sure everything was good on my tractor. They did not change the hydraulic fluid for this service like the other guys said. I was so busy they did not get my tractor in till 68 hours but told me it was fine.
The next service I will do my self.