Questions about lawnmower options

/ Questions about lawnmower options #1  

jyoutz

Tractor
Kubota MX6000
I have a small 50x100’ lawn that I mow with a push mower, but also acres of native grass that I mow several times a year. I mow most of the area with my tractor and 6’ rotary cutter, and use a small riding mower to mow tighter areas close to the house, around buildings and the orchard. My riding mower is on its last legs and I will probably replace it soon. I have been eyeing the zero turn mowers, but have never used one. How well do they work on areas outside of lawns, cutting native grass and navigating bumpy ground. My land isn’t that rough and I can cut it fine with my current rider, but it’s not lawn and is rough in places. Would a zero turn be a good option or should I replace it with another riding mower? I wouldn’t want any wider than a 52” deck, because that would defeat my purpose for the mower.

/ Questions about lawnmower options #2  
Zero turns typically have infinitely adjustable speed so you can slow down or speed up to suit ground and grass conditions. The mower decks are similar to lawn mowers so they will cut normal height lawn grass, but tall grass will tend to bend over and may not be cut as well. Some of them have basic fixed seats others have suspension seats available.

The reason to get a zero turn is when you have a lot of trees or other obstacles to mow around. That's where they cut your mowing time dramatically. The time savings aren't as great if you are mowing a totally open area with few obstructions that could have just as easily been mowed with a traditional lawn mower.

/ Questions about lawnmower options
Zero turns typically have infinitely adjustable speed so you can slow down or speed up to suit ground and grass conditions. The mower decks are similar to lawn mowers so they will cut normal height lawn grass, but tall grass will tend to bend over and may not be cut as well. Some of them have basic fixed seats others have suspension seats available.

The reason to get a zero turn is when you have a lot of trees or other obstacles to mow around. That's where they cut your mowing time dramatically. The time savings aren't as great if you are mowing a totally open area with few obstructions that could have just as easily been mowed with a traditional lawn mower.
So how do they handle bumpy ground? I’m wondering because the wheels look a bit smaller than the typical garden tractor mower.

/ Questions about lawnmower options #4  
Smaller wheels will result in a harsher ride on rough terrain, but in general, zero turns are no worse than a normal lawn tractor. The exception is that zt's tend to have higher ground speeds, which can make for a wild ride over rough terrain.
Features on ZT's that help smooth out the ride are suspension seats, front and rear suspension springs, and pivoting front axles.
I believe (?) Bad Boy makes a full suspension ZT, as well as Ferris.

/ Questions about lawnmower options #5  
Stihl makes a ZTR with four-wheel suspension, springs in the front and shocks in the back.

/ Questions about lawnmower options #6  
So how do they handle bumpy ground? I’m wondering because the wheels look a bit smaller than the typical garden tractor mower.
To me, no different than a regular mower except it's so easy to slow down to go over the known bumpy areas.

I used to have nearly an acre yard with a lot of trees. The salesman said I'd cut my mowing time in half with a ZTR, and I actually cut my mowing time by more than that. I wouldn't want to go back to a regular mower.

I looked at a Cub Cadet ZT1 yesterday and it seems like a pretty solid machine. Thoughts on this? Also the same 54” deck Cub Cadet machine is sold at TSC with a 24hp Kohler engine, and by Home Depot with a Kawasaki engine. Same price both places. Any recommendations as to the best option?

/ Questions about lawnmower options #8  
The ZT1 seems priced pretty well compared to the other brands and there are a few YT videos on them.

I couldn't tell you which engine between Kohler and Kawasaki is the better choice. After all the trouble I had with a Briggs on my John Deere Z225, I automatically lose interest when I see a Briggs on anything now.

You could probably find that machine at a dealer for the same price and at least then, you could ask the dealer mechanic which engine gives the least trouble.

/ Questions about lawnmower options #9  
I looked at a Cub Cadet ZT1 yesterday and it seems like a pretty solid machine. Thoughts on this? Also the same 54” deck Cub Cadet machine is sold at TSC with a 24hp Kohler engine, and by Home Depot with a Kawasaki engine. Same price both places. Any recommendations as to the best option?

Kawasaki is the better engine imho (no contest, not even close).

Looking at the Cub cadet and Ariens, both higher end residential models with Kawasaki engines. Fairly equal, or ?