Questions about melting and casting lead.

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
I have access to some scrap lead (metal), and I was considering experimenting and making some suitcase weights for my NH TC40D. I would like to make a dozen weights that run ~80 lbs each.

My questions:

How do I melt that much lead at once?
What do I use as a crucible?
What would be a good heat source; how much heat would I need?
What material would you make the molds from?

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #2  
I cast a little lead and aluminum every now and again. I use my homebuilt forge for both metals and also a propane fish cooker for lead. My crusible is usually a 4inch diameter pipe with 6inches long an end welded in in and a long handle. for bigger pours like a suitcase weight I use a bigger pipe with 2 handles and a fearless friend. We use face masks and long burner gloves. One thing I like to use to get a melt stared is let my crrucibles 1/2 inch plate bottom get red hot drop in 2 or 3 small wheel weights and wait till they poll then do a few more. When the bottom is covered in liquid lead shovel them in. They just seem to melt quiker that way. make sure all the charge is dry to, lead reacts badly with water. For my dlods I use aluminium if I can as it wont stick but alot of times I use regular steel. For the straight edgesI use angle iron or square tubing because if the mold is out of square youll damage that purdy part. Also make sure your mold is pefectly level to. There is a thing call parting sand that goes on it but its not necessary I use an old peice of soap stone and lay it on the side to mark all of the surfaces. Just let the mold cool good and if you mess up put it back in the pot.
just dont get water in the pot or mold, dont breathe and you should be alright.

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #3  
DocHeb:

You can melt lead in a cast iron pot over a propane cooker like you deep fry a turkey in. I'd be careful about exactly what kind of lead you have. Lead from automotive batteries can be deadly from a vapor inhalation standpoint.

As far as casting molds, you live here in Michigan just as I do. I would suggest doing a Google search for metal working clubs in Michigan. I belong to the Metro Detroit Metalworking Club and besides machinists, there are some foundry people familiar with casting. They may be able to help you.

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #4  
And don't let any moist objects get into the pot, steam driven molten lead will make you cry!

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #5  
I did a job at a cast iron pipe factory and was pretty amazed at the process. The company made everything from cast pipe to huge 4 foot cast T's for municiple sewage pipes. They had some fork lifts hauling crucibles of molten metal and would get some splashing while driving from one part of the plant to the next. If any of the molten metal splashed out and landed into a water puddle, it sounded like a bomb going off (as it vaporized the puddle)! It had to be pretty nerve racking for the forklift drivers on rainy days.

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #6  
Ditto on the propane heat source and a cast iron pot. I've done a little hobby lead smelting and casting.

Use steele forms as well as brick or clay.

I know the others have sadi it.. but you can't be too carefull about moisture being introduced to the molten lead... don't let any water drops.. chilled / frozen lead get in the pot. I usually had a side fire with a big flat pan over near my lead pot.. I let the lead get warm over there and it burnt off any mosture residue that was on it.. much safer that way.. then I used a fireplace ash shovel to add the lead to the pot... safely away from splashes and steam explosions.. etc.

Be safe.

Soundguy

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #7  
I don't know if it would work with something as large as a suitcase weight, but when I needed lead weights for ballast on model airplanes we made molds out of balsa wood. It charred and smoked for the first weight poured, but after that it worked fine. Didn't need to put any angle on the mold because the lead shrinks a little as it cooled.

Now these weights were only about 5"x1"x 1/2", but I was suprised the first time I saaw it done.

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #8  
Back in the old days telephone cable came with a lead outer sheath. Our closures were made of lead also. In fact I strongly suspect what made welding easier for me was my working lead first.

What the telephone and all the other industries associated with the use of lead have found is it sheds particles that get into the air and mess up kids.

Sooooooooooo, if you're going to mess with the stuff make sure your kids ain't around. And that they ain't around when you come in after doing it and before you get those contaminated clothes into the washer.

Your kids need every bit of brain power they're born with to get through this world. Don't let an interesting project for you be a source of harm for them. Be careful.

This happens when the lead is disturbed. So just handling it can get dust on you and from you into your child's body.

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #9  
Yeah Harve! Lead poisoning is bad. When I melted lead I did it in a pot on a camp stove in the garage with the door open. But I seem to recall friends having a kit to melt lead and cast toy soldiers. This was done as a hobby by kids in the 12-15 year range. Of course it was back in the 50's when we were less aware of some dangers. I used to build plastic models using carbon tetrachloride as a solvent. Remenber the pump type fire extinguishers that trucks had? Filled with Carbon Tet. They even sold small models for home use that were filled with it.

/ Questions about melting and casting lead. #10  
Carbon tet was every where. I used it to degrease the shop floor where I worked in highschool. Heck if you were an autoshop student you darn near washed with it.

There are a lot of good references on the web for the amature caster, many with great safety info. If you read the thread on waste oil heaters from the last few days there are links to burners which are for casting.

Have a look, be carful, make sure the mold is not cold.

I have been casting brass/bronze and other aloys with out a problem, but safety is always a concern.