Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one!

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #11  
Dear Craig,

FWIW: it runs pretty well into the nineties for me in CA, even with mowing. If it were me, I would just add an extra SPAL fan on the left side, about half on the engine and half off. I'm not sure, but the 2445 may come with a factory ducted engine which ought to be better cooled.

I have the chain trencher and I love it. I don't use it often, but when I do, it is badger of a digger. I have both the 4" and 6" widths and even in high gravel subsoil it just chews along. Hitting a boulder or a tree root at an angle will cause a deviation. I put down a chalk line and just watch as I trench along. It will clear a rock that is the size of the trench or smaller, but expect to shear bolts if you push it, especially on a larger rock. In my soil, it will put in a 48" deep trench. I have also used it to make terraces on a hill side. (Think chainsaw carving.) It also works well at that. Once I have a terrace large enough for the tractor, I use the trencher and the 4N1 to enlarge the terrace along the slope. Slice the uphill segment and you know the depth you are trying for- plus it fractures the soil. It paid for itself on my first project.

Compared to dedicated, you are way up on power for the rental ones. However, the dedicated trenchers tend to be on a monolith frame and they do straight lines more easily. They also usually comes with carbide teeth chains that are better at grinding away at large rocks and roots.

If you have just sand in Palm desert, you might want to consider a knife plow to draw cable and piping directly underground. Many of those will run from a pickup. (More weight/power) As always, YMMV.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one!
I'll definitely look at options for more cooling... this is a pretty old unit (1999?), so I'm expecting plenty of opportunities to "improve" the design. The "soil" in the high desert is mostly hard packed sand from what I have experienced... it can be pretty tough digging, but all pretty fine grained. Except when you do hit a boulder... and then it's basically find a different route..:) For electrical work we most often only need a 24" deep trench, so should be easy for a machine this size. Your terrace application sounds pretty neat.... don't have that requirement on any of my properties at this time, seems it's either sand or rock, but who knows what will come up.

Thanks again for sharing!

best,
Craig

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #13  
Hi Craig

I've got the smaller 2 series.....2425.......and love it.....not a lot of muscle but versatile. PT didn't want to sell me the brush mower because of concerns with over heating and if I use it for extended periods on 90+ days I can feel the difference in performance and need to shut down to let it cool off.......so that could be a concern for you.......the hydro cooling fan is in the front and not really big. Sitting up high does make it seem like it would tip easily but I've yet to do it.....going up and down slopes is not a problem....but don't think I'd do it going side slope ways.......by the way sitting on the engine is a huge advantage in the winter......haha. The rated lift on mine is 800 I think........but it probably tops out at around 680 based on the wood pellets I move each year........using pallet forks on a tractor trailer is no problem.....use to get my dog food delivered by tractor trailers......would meet him at the bottom of the hill and take it right off from the back of the truck. Can't comment on the trencher.......i can only fantasize about having sandy soil.......everything is shale up here and a bear to dig.....realistic digging depth is probably closer to 4+ feet with the rocks up here. I use the bh more than I thought I would....everything from an emergency brake, to a jack, to getting me out of stupid places I get myself into.......plus the usual odd digging chore that always seems to come up....can't envision having the PT without it now.........do wish I had gotten the 12" bucket instead of the 9" though..........Jack

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one!
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to go for the 2445.. just hope that my lift is really at least 1800 lb, afraid I'll be really disappointed if I can't do that. My little TYM 273 (just realized the typo in my sig..), can do 1300 and I think maybe a bit more with the BH on the back. I have to say that I really like the TYM, great size for mowing and great for digging (4WD)... but it's just going to be too small for my "moving" needs and I need more "drilling" capacity. I did keep the drill head from PT-220 and adapted it the TYM... works fine in our rocky soil but I only use a 9" auger.

Sounds like I have same soil conditions here (I'm actually a little north of Allentown right now), my TYM BH has a 12" bucket and I used to dig 700' of trench for a water line to the barn.... no problem with a 48" bury depth.

Believe it or not I'm thinking that seat warmer might come in handy once in awhile in Mohave desert... it does get chilly there from time to time.... Craig