quick educate me on emissions please

/ quick educate me on emissions please #11  
It doesn't say anywhere in the document where the cutoff is.

Page 1 third column. It's for engines between 19 and 37kw. We are now in "Tier 4" which occurred in or about 2013.

Funny to read the posts from the "anti computer controlled" folks. As stated in my first post I'm staying out of that......at least for now

/ quick educate me on emissions please #12  
I'm new here. I'm not sure what members here prefer, but in some forums people want you to start a new thread and not piggy back off of an older related one. I hope you guys prefer me to just post it here in this related thread.
My question:
Roughly how much cost does it add to the purchase price when tractors go over 26HP and need the extra emissions controls?

/ quick educate me on emissions please #13  
I'm new here. I'm not sure what members here prefer, but in some forums people want you to start a new thread and not piggy back off of an older related one. I hope you guys prefer me to just post it here in this related thread.
My question:
Roughly how much cost does it add to the purchase price when tractors go over 26HP and need the extra emissions controls?

In most cases you aren't just buying more horses. You're also getting more weight, and usually a bit more lift capability at one or both ends. Below are examples from one dealer that would show the cost difference for stepping over the threshold and needing a DPF. I assume since both prices are from one dealer, the difference in price would be at least somewhat useful in answering your question.

I don't know if the prices are good or not. About 1-1/2 years ago I bought a very clean L4240 HSTC (Still looks new, no pesky DPF, DEF, etc.) with 977 hours on it for only $3K more than the L3301.

22 Kubota L251 4WD HST L251HST | Scholten's Equipment

22 Kubota L331HST L331HST | Scholten's Equipment

/ quick educate me on emissions please #14  
I have a 2018 Massey Ferguson 2706, which is a 57 HP tractor. It meets Tier 4 Final emission standards without the use of a DPF or DEF. They describe their emission controls as "External cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) with diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC)". Point being, there are new tractors above 25 hp that exist without the hassle of the DPF filter cleanings or buying and filling DEF regularly. I would imagine other methods to meeting the new standards will continue to show up as time goes on as well. There are options out there, I have 225 hours on my tractor at this point, with out any issues.

/ quick educate me on emissions please #15  
Faced the same decision few years ago to update 30-60 year old tractors. I have downsized a lot and do more playing to keep things up or do projects. Short chore use more common so having a tractor regen didn’t seem compatible. Also needed to mostly maintained by me. Could have bought new but went with used tier 3 machines 2013-2016. Hope they are as trouble-free as the old ones.

/ quick educate me on emissions please #16  
I think it痴 important to note that the DPFs do not require high temperature exhaust most of the time. The engine only consumes additional fuel and increases exhaust temperatures during 途egen, when the particulate matter trapped by the filter is burned off. Mahindra uses DOCs, or diesel oxidation catalysts, which convert some of the harmful gases in the exhaust to oxygen and water, but still requires somewhat higher temperatures to deal with the particulates. So a DOC will need higher temperatures all the time to be effective, whereas a DPF needs very high temperatures once every 50 hours or so, and can run cooler the rest of the time.

Also, whether you worry about the environmental impact of your tractor emissions or not, treated exhaust is cleaner, and it doesn稚 stink and smoke as much as untreated exhaust. Whether that痴 worth the complexity and cost of a tractor above 25hp is for you to decide.

/ quick educate me on emissions please #17  
Unless the DOC runs hot enough to damage the paint on the hood, why does it matter that they run hot? What about the catalytic converter on your car?

Buying a used tractor without the latest emission equipment in lieu of a new tractor has no real impact on the environment. Someone will be running the older tractors till they die. It's not as though for every new tractor sold a pre-emission tractor must be melted down.

/ quick educate me on emissions please #18  
I知 not saying that someone痴 tractor is going to be the death of us or anything. You run what you want. I personally think EPA regulations in this arena are a little ridiculous. But others do care, and can act accordingly. What I am saying is that, all other things being equal, a DOC engine is engineered to run a little bit hotter all the time, and a DPF engine is engineered to run cooler than that most of the time, and then extremely hot in short bursts. Some seem to think that because DOCs have no filters, they must be more reliable. I知 saying that each one can have different weaknesses. And finally, you might personally prefer less smelly exhaust, so some form of exhaust treatment might be better for you than none at all.

/ quick educate me on emissions please #19  
What is the weakness of an engine engineered to run a little bit hotter? Shorter life span of components, more likely for coolant to over heat compared to a DPF engine? I would say the the thought that people have about DOC being more reliable than DPF is mostly based on the fact that at no point is the DOC tractor forced out of operation for a filter burn off.

/ quick educate me on emissions please #20  
But for my regen, I just keep on working.