Quoting a job?

/ Quoting a job? #11  
This guy told me $600 for the RV pad and $500 for the trails. I said no way and he got upset. He thinks he is doing me a favor at $600. I told him to rent a machine, do it himself and left.

That is the reason when I am asked to do some small job for a neighbor, I do it for free or not at all. No one is happy with even a minimal charge for work done. Most don't realize the cost of equipment nor repairs to said equipment and only look at it as a cost per hour for the operator. I think the tightwads really think that since your equipment is just setting unused, it only cost you time and fuel (and most don't even want to pay the fuel cost)for work to be done.

Best is for them to have to rent the equipment themselves to gain appreciation for the real cost of work.

/ Quoting a job? #12  
Some people just really do try and get stuff cheap, regardless of ethics. Some people only think that what they do is worth anything. And yet others don't have a clue what stuff costs, sometimes just because they are old and out of touch. Yet they paid for a New Cadillac, put gas in it regularly and go on a cruise, so maybe they are just playing a game too.

I too, never lend stuff, prefer to do the little jobs for free and if offered money for "fuel" accept it gratefully under most circumstances.

/ Quoting a job? #13  
At those quotes, I would like to have you come out here and do some work! I think those jobs were bid way low! Take it as a blessing that they didn't take you up on them.

/ Quoting a job? #14  
Sometimes you're better off to stay home and work for free.

/ Quoting a job? #15  
Some people just really do try and get stuff cheap, regardless of ethics. Some people only think that what they do is worth anything. And yet others don't have a clue what stuff costs, sometimes just because they are old and out of touch. Yet they paid for a New Cadillac, put gas in it regularly and go on a cruise, so maybe they are just playing a game too.

I too, never lend stuff, prefer to do the little jobs for free and if offered money for "fuel" accept it gratefully under most circumstances.
I have a brother in law like that, he used to embarrass me with wanting something for less every time he bought something (that is until I quit going out with him). No matter the price, he wanted a discount and it wasn't because he lacked funds, he has way more money than he will ever spend, but he seriously wants everything for nothing.

/ Quoting a job? #16  
That is the reason when I am asked to do some small job for a neighbor, I do it for free or not at all. No one is happy with even a minimal charge for work done. Most don't realize the cost of equipment nor repairs to said equipment and only look at it as a cost per hour for the operator. I think the tightwads really think that since your equipment is just setting unused, it only cost you time and fuel (and most don't even want to pay the fuel cost)for work to be done.

And, it's not just "manual labor jobs" where this comes into play. I am a CPA and used to do taxes for a living. Friends and neighbors would want a "deal" on doing their tax returns. Even doing them for half of what I normally would have charged got them upset. I had one guy that just wanted me to "review" his return after he prepped it. I told him that it would take me as long to review it for completeness and accuracy as it would to just do it from scratch. He didn't like that either. I ended up changing the focus of my practice from taxes to consulting and then could use the excuse that I "wasn't current on the new laws any more" so I didn't have to work for friends.

It always amazes me to have someone ask you to do for free what you do for your work every day. Do you work for free at your job???

Back to the OP - think twice about taking the jobs after they've priced them from someone else!

/ Quoting a job? #18  
City Farmer, I think you bids are very reasonable and are at the low end of the scale. I would not make any other counter offers. With those ridiculously low offerings from your co-workers wanted to pay, I think they were trying to take advantage of you. I think if they ever asked for quotes from full time professional contractors, they would come running back to you.

However, comparing rates over wide spread areas and certainly many states apart doesn't really present a good example of what YOU should charge.

/ Quoting a job? #19  
If they came back to me asking me to do the same jobs, I'd tell them: "No, the price of fuel has gone up and after you felt my price was too high I got to checking, and I'm actually low for the equipment cost. I'll pass. Thanks though."'

/ Quoting a job? #20  
You could use a technique (that I hate) that I hear advertised all the time.
Basically a: We try to charge you as much as we can, but if you bring us our competitors ad (or quote) for less, "We'll match any price" , basically: we will undercut them (if we have to).

Tell your "friends"/coworkers the same: "Yeah, get a couple (legitimate) quotes, I do it for you for 10% less good buddy!