Mowing R4 Tires and mowing

/ R4 Tires and mowing #11  
If your tractor can use R4s (obviously yours can) it's the only way to go. You lose some traction but they leave less tracks or ruts.
They really work much better on pavement.
You made the right choice.

/ R4 Tires and mowing #12  
8561 said:
I have the same tractor with R4's. My rears are loaded with calcium chloride. First of all, MFWD engaged is an absolute no-no.

Huh? Why is MFWD engaged a no-no? Did I misread it or are you saying to not mow with 4WD engaged? Or is that only if you are on flat land?

I have 3-1/4 acres that might as well be moutainside. I HAVE to mow in 4wd. Granted my GL-21 has two 4WD options, one of them is a sort of super-steer or quick-steer. When I have that engaged the tractor will literally almost turn on the inside wheel. The front outside wheel accelerates and the rear inside I think becomes disengaged from the drivetrain. It results in a very quick and tight radius turn.

I have mowed in normal 4WD also, it tears the lawn up pretty good but sometimes is it required due to the speed generated in the "quick-steer" 4WD (QS4WD) mode. Sometimes that is a bad thing so I have to go into normal 4WD. As long as you aren't on pavement or another hard surface there should be no issue with being in 4WD.

All this on R2 tires too. I'm sure if I had R3's or R4's I would have almost no marking in QS4WD. Normal 4WD, I think it's almost impossible not to get some marking. It doesn't hurt the drivetrain though, as long as the surface being driven on will give, if it doesn't, the metal in the axles or driveline will.

/ R4 Tires and mowing #13  
I just noticed in your profile that your 'bota has "bi-speed turn", is that the equivalent of what I described as Quick Steer 4WD? Interesting if it is.

How long has Kubota offered this state side?

/ R4 Tires and mowing #14  
I also live in pretty hilly terrain, one area of which does require me to throw it in MFWD temporarily. I'm probably not as hilly as you describe. The comment on no MFWD is not based in an issue with hurting the drivertain (no issues there), but rather in cutting up the lawn while turning. It has been discussed here dozens of times in many threads and the consensus has always been to avoid MFWD if at all possible. First of all, for most its not necessary, second, if your ground is at all soft, it will do more damage with the MFWD engaged. If you need it for your property, or if your lawn is firm enough to not be affected, go for it. By the way, I also mow without the FEL on to reduce the weight on the front.

As far as Bi-Speed Turn, its a great feature. When engaged, it spins the outside front tire at about twice the normal speed and dramatically reduces turn radius. A great feature Kubota stopped doing on the B series a few years back.

/ R4 Tires and mowing #15  
I also have R4's on my B7800. The tires do leave more marks when wet. Even when the ground is dry you must not make sharp turns. Also keep tractor moving while turning wheels. After a couple of mowings you should be able to mow with leaving very few marks. You will find out quickly how to avoid them.
Good luck
Dan

/ R4 Tires and mowing #16  
8561 said:
The comment on no MFWD is not based in an issue with hurting the drivertain (no issues there), but rather in cutting up the lawn while turning. It has been discussed here dozens of times in many threads and the consensus has always been to avoid MFWD if at all possible. If you need it for your property, or if your lawn is firm enough to not be affected, go for it.

Agree!

/ R4 Tires and mowing #17  
Dascro said:
For those of you using R4's for yard mowing, is the "marking" typical for these tires or simply because the ground was soft from all the recent rain?
Yes.

Is your experience that the R4's will mark less when the yard is completely dry?
Yes - although they will still mark if I turn very sharply. The thicker the turf the less this is a problem. IOW, if the grass is fairly thin it's worse.

I am wondering if I made on mistake on tire selection.
Nope.

/ R4 Tires and mowing
Thanks for all the useful information based on first hand experience. I appreciate it. I mowed again last evening and the ground was more dry than previously. There was less marking. And I did notice there is less marking where the turf is thicker.

I am beginning to feel better about my tire choice.

Dascro

/ R4 Tires and mowing
One other question. For those of you running R4's, what pressure do you run in the tires? Mine are 6 ply tires and listed at 40 psi max. But that seems awfully high and the ride is very rough.

Thanks,
Dave

/ R4 Tires and mowing #20  
R4's will ride rougher than turfs.
And I'd keep them at the pressure listed in the manual or on the sidewall. I have personally never been a fan of operating any tire outside those listed values.