R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
R4\'s don\'t allow TC40Ds to Float

I would like to answer two questions that may (or may not) have entered your mind:

1. Is 6 inches of ice adequate to support the weight of a TC40D-SS?
2. Do Titan R4's provide enough boyancy to allow a TC40D-SS to float?

The answer to both questions is no.

The frustrating thing is that 2 weeks ago I drove across this ice for 12 hours while installing a dock, and the ice we were cutting through was 12-14" thick. The weather didn't seem to warm up at all, yet the ice is now 6" thick.

I got out of this predicament by cutting out the ice behind the wheels with a chain saw, placed 2x12 boards behind the wheels, and used the bucket down/curl to push the tractor backwards.

Attachments

• 597014-Floating TC40D.jpg
    597014-Floating TC40D.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 983
   / R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #2  
Re: R4\'s don\'t allow TC40Ds to Float

Here I thought you had the 'Low-Rider' version of the TC40. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Was the snow cover on the ice the same each time you were there?
More snow = more insulation on the ice = less stable ice.

Don

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #3  

Chris
Aparantly you did not see this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Click Here
How long to it take to get the tractor out?

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How long to it take to get the tractor out? )</font>

The whole episode lasted 20 minutes:

Come to edge of ice and put bucket down, lift entire front end of tractor off the ground in foolish attempt to confirm ice strength - 30 seconds

Drive onto ice and have front wheels fall through - 10 seconds.

Assess that front wheels have indeed fallen through and hope that back wheels don't go through - 10 seconds.

Have back wheels fall through and realize that we're in a whole lotta trouble - 5 sec.

Hope that the exhaust isn't under so much water it stalls the tractor - 5 seconds.

Spin all four tires in mandatory 4WD and differential locked and realize that it is hopeless - 1 minute.

Pull out the camera and take a picture for the buds at TBN - 1 minute

Walk back up to the house, get the chain saw and 2 - 2x12-10's; cut out the ice back to solid ground; jamb the 2x12's under the rear tires, and drive backward with the diff locked, trying to alternate my left foot on the brake and diff lock, meanwhile dumping/curling the bucket - 17 minutes.

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #5  

Glad to hear there was a Happy Ending. Thanks for the pic...

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The frustrating thing is that 2 weeks ago I drove across this ice for 12 hours while installing a dock, and the ice we were cutting through was 12-14" thick. The weather didn't seem to warm up at all, yet the ice is now 6" thick.
)</font>
JUST remember that the next time u think about driving on to DEEP WATER ICE /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #7  

You done GOOD. Must have had to do some quick thinking. Glad the TC40 is OK.

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #8  

Good sound ice would have supported the TC-40D. Unfortunately ice that has thawed and refrozen may not be as sound as you found out first hand. I'm glad that neither you or your rig was harmed. Your ego will heal itself. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #9  

I think to really evaluate whether your tires would have supported the weight of the tractor, you would have to allow for more displacement. I suggest you find deeper water and report back.

/ R4's don't allow TC40Ds to Float #10  

Chris, I'm darn glad you got your tractor out relatively easily. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you had been sunk that deeply in mud, you might still be there. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The only question I have is whether water might get into your front axle bearings and such. It looks like your front wheel hubs went completely under water.

BTW: I turned up my heat a few degrees after looking at your picture. I'm a certified cold weather wimp. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif