Racoon fun

/ Racoon fun #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
Raccoon fun

I came across these three little trouble makers out having some fun last Monday. Did not see Mom.

Last edited:
   / Racoon fun #2  
Bet you won't see the last of them. :)

/ Racoon fun
I'll take that bet.

/ Racoon fun #4  
Those were cute. I think the first one was looking for a hand-out. Perhaps a small apple.

/ Racoon fun
Those were cute. I think the first one was looking for a hand-out. Perhaps a small apple.
We don't have apples here, it's doubtful that this little guy would even recognize it as food. I see your from Washington...apples are like oranges there.
These three were a couple of miles from a paved road, no houses, dumpsters, or garbage cans within miles. As far as I could tell they were without the mother. Their behavior was abnormal... the fact that they were moving about at 3 in the afternoon was in itself peculiar as raccoons are seldom diurnal.
It does look like they are looking for a handout, but being so far from a house or humans....it seems unlikely.
I suspect the movements or mannerisms were meant as a threat. I say this because of what I saw in the moments before the camera started.

/ Racoon fun #6  
We don't have apples here, it's doubtful that this little guy would even recognize it as food. I see your from Washington...apples are like oranges there.
These three were a couple of miles from a paved road, no houses, dumpsters, or garbage cans within miles. As far as I could tell they were without the mother. Their behavior was abnormal... the fact that they were moving about at 3 in the afternoon was in itself peculiar as raccoons are seldom diurnal.
It does look like they are looking for a handout, but being so far from a house or humans....it seems unlikely.
I suspect the movements or mannerisms were meant as a threat. I say this because of what I saw in the moments before the camera started.

Video wouldn't play for me but your talking as though you think they were Rabid? Most Racoons are, as you said, diurnal hunters but it isn't that uncommon to see them in the daylight. It is uncommon to see small racoons come toward a person unless.. they have no fear of that human (i.e relatively tame, Rabid or used to being fed by a human). I have had three pet racoons at various times and they are also very curious by nature but still very much afraid of a human in the wild.. What are they doing in the video.. just curious?

/ Racoon fun #7  
I don't think they were rabid. I think they were just young and stupid. Of the rabid animals I have seen, and mind you I have only seen a handful, these little guys didn't act the same way.

/ Racoon fun #8  
The best way to deal with raccoons, it to send them to raccoon heaven!

They are NOTHING but a problem animal!

SR

/ Racoon fun #9  

SR

What he said... I suffer about $1K damage yearly due to a large over population in my area as they are not hunted and no predators. I live trapped in the beginning, F&W told me to dispose of them on my property as they did not relocate raccoons. I will admit they are cute when small.

/ Racoon fun

SR
I don't necessarily agree with that, however if I had problems with raccoons at home, on my property, I would certainly take whatever steps necessary to mitigate the problem.
Where I live we are overrun with opossums so I understand the mindset, these raccoons were on a large parcel of public land and represent no threat to anyone, with the exception of hiker/campers. I see no reason to kill these little guys under the circumstances.
Some people just like killing things, I'm not that guy.