Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,461  
Steel Dynamics has a huge structural steel and rail mill in Columbia City, IN. Amazing place making miles and miles of rail every year along with structural steel.

D9560DB3-3E62-40B2-9B71-AA886C55BD58.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,462  
Due to recent Rain, Flooding, Washouts, and Mudslides, many regions and highways in British Columbia Canada are currently under a state of emergency with evacuation orders (in one or two cases, entire towns / cities). We are not in any immediate danger where we are, however travel is very restricted or impossible.

It was a difficult Summer with the Wildfires just a few short months ago, and now this wetness.

Here is a photo taken yesterday, on the main Coquihalla Highway / Trans - Canada through the mountains. YIKES

View attachment 721264 the railroad is normally well above the highway. We do this drive several times each year.

Stay Safe everyone.

We had a beautiful day today.

CK
I read a story last night that Vancouver is now cut off from the rest of the world by road. Only water and air access.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#1,463  
Steel Dynamics has a huge structural steel and rail mill in Columbia City, IN. Amazing place making miles and miles of rail every year along with structural steel.

View attachment 721266
I believe I seen some Columbia rails when I was cutting up old rails at my work. :unsure:

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,464  

View attachment 721266
Wonder how long it’ll be before they can’t meet stricter emissions standards and have to close :(

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,465  
Wonder how long it’ll be before they can’t meet stricter emissions standards and have to close :(
Bussey stays on top of emissions standards (He's the CEO btw). Don't see that happening. Steel Dynamics plants are state of the art in process and emissions. My old employer has one of their facilities located adjacent to the flat rolled mill in Butler, Indiana. That way, transportation costs are mitigated and profit is maximized.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,466  

View attachment 721266
You do know what the initial primary motivator for SDI to locate in Indiana was?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,467  

View attachment 721266
We buy a lot of steel from them, I've toured their mill a couple of times. Pretty cool place. 2 electric melt furnaces. The scale of the facility is hard to comprehend.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,468  
This is close to me and I ride it every summer, sometimes twice. It’s said to be the best scenic bike trail in the USA. The 15 mile trail has 7 sky high trestles and 10 tunnels with one straddling the Idaho & Montana border and is 1.66 miles long! Breathtaking every time I go!
I haven't ridden much in the past few years, but that looks like an interesting ride. I'll be 71 next summer and rail grades are usually pretty easy riding, although a 30 mile round trip might be a bit much, but it would be fun to try. Although when I was in riding shape, distance wasn't that big of a deal as long as I was fueled and hydrated. Rode a metric century the week of my 60th birthday just to say I did it.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,469  
I believe I seen some Columbia rails when I was cutting up old rails at my work. :unsure:
They haven't been at that location long enough to have old rails, I'd guess. My wife went to college in Ft. Wayne in the early 80's. I'd visit her quite often, as it's only 90 miles away (about an hour for a doofus on a motorcycle (me)), and it wasn't there in the 80's, 90's. I doubt it's 20 years old yet.