Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,491  
Certainly with one exception, US Steel in Gary is now Accelor Mittal, least I believe they are. Been away from the industry for a while.
Same in my area. Lukens Steel in Coatesville, PA was an American owned company. Now its Arcelor Mital from Luxembourg.
So if a foreign owned company buys an American Steel mill, does one believe it’s as American as an American manufacturer & owner? Same warm, fuzzy feeling as if it were US Steel?
I know I dont.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,493  
Probably something to do with the finish and weathering, I'd guess.

And who owns it, besides a lot of people with mutual funds? Mr. Mittal.
Master coils hauled in gondola's and coil cars with no lids are hot rolled coils that are destined for further processing like annealing or pickling. Don't matter if they get a coating of rust on them because the oxide will be removed with further processing. The cars with lids (and the tower in the center of each lid) is so the crane operator at the facility they wind up at, can use a C hook to remove the lid before the coils are unloaded and those covered coils are most likely cold rolled or galvanized or HRPO coils (Hot rolled Pickled and Oiled).

Mittal is an India based corporation btw. Don't believe there is a Mr. Mittal. More like a board of directors. They bought Rouge Steel in Dearborn as well. I'd say they are the largest supplier of domestic flat rolled product in the United States now. SDI is nothing compared to them but Bussey is more interested in the specialty end of steelmaking, whereas Mittal just cranks out hot rolled and cold rolled master coils that others turn into finished products.

The largest specialty steel producer here was (I think they still are), Carpenter Technologies. They specialize in alloy steels and stainless flat rolled.

Been away from it for a pretty long time so the game players might have changed. Just going by what I knew when I was involved.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,495  
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,496  
No, but my point stands, a foreign (Luxembourg) owned steel mill in the US is not as American as an American owned steel mill in the US.
But I digress, you are the moderator and you said we have to keep it on railroads.
It's nothing to do with my moderation hat. It's an observation that the never ending theme about how bad things are in America that starts to drag down a lot of threads. Speaking for myself and not assuming anyone elses' thoughts on the matter, I'd like to see this thread stay open instead of digressing into yet another discussion about who's fault the state of the country is in. Once that discussion starts, it's just a matter of time before someone posts political content, it gets out of control, and poof.

So how about we leave that discussion out of this thread, and just enjoy the trains today?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,498  
Master coils hauled in gondola's and coil cars with no lids are hot rolled coils that are destined for further processing like annealing or pickling. Don't matter if they get a coating of rust on them because the oxide will be removed with further processing. The cars with lids (and the tower in the center of each lid) is so the crane operator at the facility they wind up at, can use a C hook to remove the lid before the coils are unloaded and those covered coils are most likely cold rolled or galvanized or HRPO coils (Hot rolled Pickled and Oiled).

Mittal is an India based corporation btw. Don't believe there is a Mr. Mittal. More like a board of directors. They bought Rouge Steel in Dearborn as well. I'd say they are the largest supplier of domestic flat rolled product in the United States now. SDI is nothing compared to them but Bussey is more interested in the specialty end of steelmaking, whereas Mittal just cranks out hot rolled and cold rolled master coils that others turn into finished products.

The largest specialty steel producer here was (I think they still are), Carpenter Technologies. They specialize in alloy steels and stainless flat rolled.

Been away from it for a pretty long time so the game players might have changed. Just going by what I knew when I was involved.
We used to have "the steel train" that came through South Bend every afternoon around 4:00pm. It was usually only 50ish cars long, one engine, and a mix of steel cars, covered, not covered, no flat cars, and about 1/4 of the cars were full of scrap metal. Always heading west to east. It was on the Conrail tracks, now Norfolk and Southern.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,499  
It's nothing to do with my moderation hat. It's an observation that the never ending theme about how bad things are in America that starts to drag down a lot of threads. Speaking for myself and not assuming anyone elses' thoughts on the matter, I'd like to see this thread stay open instead of digressing into yet another discussion about who's fault the state of the country is in. Once that discussion starts, it's just a matter of time before someone posts political content, it gets out of control, and poof.

So how about we leave that discussion out of this thread, and just enjoy the trains today?
That’s fine, but Why would the thread close? Who would close it? Is making the point that we don’t build railroad bridges like that anymore off-topic? Seems completely on topic (if that’s what you’re referring to)