Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,811  
Yes I noticed the disk brakes. If I remember correctly there are other designs with a single disk brake, but I don't remember the RR's. Another interesting fact about transit wheel sets. The design shown has a inboard wheel and out board journal bearing. There are other transit wheel designs that have a outboard wheel and inboard journal bearing design. This is defined by the truck foot print. The first design, outboard journal bearing, the wheel is pressed on and then the journal bearing is pressed on and spiked as an individual component. With out board wheel the journal bearing is installed first and spiked against a shoulder. Then the wheel is pressed on at maybe 100 ton and then spiked against the journal at approx. 10 ton. A little more difficult to do when working with a 100 ton force. This is from my memory of about 30 plus years ago. Just for reference a locomotive wheel is pressed on at 105 to 155 tons referencing a 10 inch diameter. Rule of thumb is 13 tons per in of diameter. Just some details.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,812  
Speaking of Hyatt and Timken bearings on locomotive trucks, I took some pictures of a couple of NS SD40-2s that sat on a siding in town, idling all weekend. Both units were originally built in the late 70s, and looked like they have done a lot of hard work.
Loved the sound of those big 16 cylinder 645 EMDs idling.

One had an assortment of axle bearings.

IMG_20181111_113628704 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20181111_113831750 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20181111_113701889 (Medium).jpg
View attachment 800511

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,814  
sat on a siding in town, idling all weekend.
That's alot of wasted fuel, and unnecessary emissions. No local/other rules about that?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,816  
That's alot of wasted fuel, and unnecessary emissions. No local/other rules about that?
I don't believe so.
It was pretty cold, so shutting them down could have made restarting them difficult. At least there was no visible smoke coming out of the exhausts.
Thing is, where they were parked, it is only about 10 miles from the NS Elkhart yard.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,817  
Large weight cars. Never seen or head of Schnabel's before.

I saw one many years ago come through town. I remember it had four two axle trucks on each end, and some kind of large piece of machinery suspended in the middle.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,818  

"Idling switchers use between 3 and Il gallons of fuel per hour depending on the ambient temperature. "
=============
and:

Bruce

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,819  
An EMD 16V645E3 burns about 5 gallons of fuel per hour, so they probably burned up about 600 gallons setting there from Friday afternoon until Monday morning.