Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,862  
I just looked up the link to “slug” and scrolled dow a bit to see this picture
1685928186973.jpeg

That rail yard is about 15 miles from me near Crozer/Chester Hospital and Weidner University.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,863  
Thanks everybody. Never heard of a Slug before this.

That makes sense. Horsepower is needed top-end for speed, but added torque and traction are what's needed to get a heavy train started moving, ie this switchyard application.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,864  
Got to watch the whole thing...

There's at least 3 of them in the video.

IMG_2386.jpeg

858 & 859
IMG_2385.jpeg

I remember when it was a Conrail yard. There were many more of them back then.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,865  
   / Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,866  
This is a rail and sail combo I never expected to get after Elevator A along Duluth's MN waterfront was shuttered after the 2013 shipping season. Hansen-Mueller reopened it last year and today they welcomed the first vessel to load there (Maxima loading beet pulp pellets). In the foreground are Riverland AG's ex-Cargill SW1 and their GE centercab. They also use a red former MKT SW1200. Duluth, MN - June 5, 2023. Years ago, I worked on a similar engine seen on the right. This was also posted in the great lake shipping thread.
352314115_579061204364297_327139810158075092_n.jpg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,867  
There's a little switcher located at a farm service supply center/grain elevator about 8 miles west of me that looks similar. It's usually parked in an area that I can't get close enough to take photos. It's similar to that but I think the cab is not exactly in the center.

There's also an engine that's been sitting on a siding at a grain elevator in La Paz, IN about 16 miles south of me for at least 20 years. I think Conagra owns it. Google street views shows it sitting with the doors open. Used to be a train station at that location. I went with my folks to pick up my cousin there back in the 60s.

IMG_2390.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,868  
There's a little switcher located at a farm service supply center/grain elevator about 8 miles west of me that looks similar. It's usually parked in an area that I can't get close enough to take photos. It's similar to that but I think the cab is not exactly in the center.

Maybe this for the centercab?

There's also an engine that's been sitting on a siding at a grain elevator in La Paz, IN about 16 miles south of me for at least 20 years. I think Conagra owns it.

And the one in La Paz, maybe.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,869  
Our infrastructure and factories look so old and tired.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,870  
New Hope RR Diesel. Not the best Picture..
20230604_172743.jpg