Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,821  
I travel that route a lot, and see DP quite often. I have seen what looked like trains with DP split at crossings, but the car ahead of the locomotive had a telemetry unit hanging on the coupler, seems like they have been parking trains pretty close together. One was within a hundred feet or so, never saw that until recently.
The longest one I've seen along US33 was just a little over 3 miles long.

It's a shame that some of those graffiti artists don't have a better canvas than a rail car. I've seen a few really good landscapes.

I saw one of the GP/slug units in the yard today, but it went behind a line of cars before I could get a picture. Another set is on the storage track near the west end of the yard.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#1,822  
Historical film about the RR's and towns in western Minnesota working through the bad, bad winter of 1880-81.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,823  
Sometimes the DP is the beginning of another train so they split them where you see this

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,825  
Apparently, NS had an ooopsie in the Elkhart Yard this week, or this is a new method of underframe inspection.
The car rack on the left side of the first picture appears to have the front of a vehicle sticking out of the end of the car. Probably loaded with a lot of damaged cars and/or trucks.

IMG_20220409_115647715.jpg
IMG_20220409_115651000_HDR.jpg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,826  
I have RR experience when I worked for about 5 different car repair shops over the years as a welder. (ak carmen) This thread is about anything associated with RR's.
One of my best friends is a retired Soo Line Rail Master. I imagine many commenting here might know Mr. Munt. Anyway, he is filled with rail stories, as well as being curiously more organized than the rest of us and better at conflict management—although most of that starts out with, "I don't want to piss on your feet, but..."

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,827  
Apparently, NS had an ooopsie in the Elkhart Yard this week, or this is a new method of underframe inspection.
The car rack on the left side of the first picture appears to have the front of a vehicle sticking out of the end of the car. Probably loaded with a lot of damaged cars and/or trucks.
Ouch!

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,828  
I saw a train with about 200 cars recently. Unsure how long that would be.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,829  
I saw a train with about 200 cars recently. Unsure how long that would be.
We get quite a few in that range here. Mostly container trains. Ever notice that a lot of those container cars are really 5 cars? Look at the trucks. There's singles at every joint, but only a coupler every 5 cars, where you'll see 2 trucks, one on each side of the coupler.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,830  
We called them Spine Cars