Rain in a bucket?

/ Rain in a bucket? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I usually check a bucket by the barn for how much rain we got. I measured this morning, after all the deluge end of times rain we have had down here, and there was 10" in it. This is from the last four days. Is this an accurate way to measure rain...in a bucket?

/ Rain in a bucket? #2  
Only if it's a perfect cylinder and the rain was falling perfectly plum. But probably accurate enough to say you had a cr@p-load of rain!

/ Rain in a bucket? #3  
We had at least 8.5" between 7:00 this morning till about 4:00! Major flooding. Washed my driveway completely out.

/ Rain in a bucket? #4  
You need to hang up a weather rock. Do a search on "weather rock". Rock wet; raining. Rock gone; wind, etc.

/ Rain in a bucket? #5  
At 10" of rainfall in a bucket, I'd say that your 9" past a "good rain" even if it's half wrong:laughing:
It would be accurate for you to say "it came down in buckets". Sorry to make jokes and I hope you didn't have any big troubles with all that rain.

/ Rain in a bucket? #6  
I usually check a bucket by the barn for how much rain we got. Is this an accurate way to measure rain...in a bucket?

No, it's not accurate; just a WAG as to sort-of how much you received in your bucket that's beside the barn. Even pouring the contents into a measuring cup isn't a good indication because the bucket is beside your barn.

Pop on down to your local hardware/rural shop and buy a rain gauge. It'll come with mounting instructions which typically say to mount it a fair distance from any building (house/barn/shed/etc...) and any tree(s).

Mine is out on a paddock post. I'm not keeping any records with it, it's just for curiosity sakes to see how much more/less I get against the 'official' amount.

/ Rain in a bucket? #8  
At 10" of rainfall in a bucket, I'd say that your 9" past a "good rain" even if it's half wrong:laughing:
It would be accurate for you to say "it came down in buckets". Sorry to make jokes and I hope you didn't have any big troubles with all that rain.

Dang, wish I had thought of that one! :laughing:

/ Rain in a bucket? #9  
Calling for 2-3 inches in Dayton Ohio this weekend. And it made the news. I live on a hill so most of what falls does little damage.

/ Rain in a bucket? #10  
I usually check a bucket by the barn for how much rain we got. I measured this morning, after all the deluge end of times rain we have had down here, and there was 10" in it. This is from the last four days. Is this an accurate way to measure rain...in a bucket?

That's what my dad likes to do also. It's not accurate, though. I bought him a $7 rain gauge and now we don't have to speculate.