Raising metal hollowing stump

/ Raising metal hollowing stump #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Well I hauled the log in with my little tractor. I though I would post how I built a hollowing stump and what I made from it. Its a useful tool.
I made a hollowing stump. I can use this to raise metal (basically tin can lids to make a poppy shape) disks into a bowl shape. I took the end of a piece of hemlock and using a u gouge rough shaped the hole. Trick is to have a gentle slope. Then using a flap/sand disk on a grinder I sanded the depression smooth.
range005.jpg

range006.jpg

The hollowing stump was made to make some more flowers. I saw these metal poppys in a magazine. There was no way I was paying for them. http://www.amazon.com/Poppy-Sways-Set-of-5/dp/B007XIWMHG

So I took a tin can lid and the nice thing about them is that they have lines on the can do it gives you a guide on where to hit.
metalflowers002.jpg

Start by putting the tin can lid into the depression and hit it with a ball peen hammer. I start in the middle and work out.
metalflowers001.jpg

metalflowers004.jpg

It will be domed.
metalflowers003.jpg
metalflowers005.jpg

Now hold it on the edge and hit the edge at the bottom of the depression. Go around the edge and then move in and hit the can in the opposite direction. Keep going around until the lid is the right height for you.
metalflowers006.jpg

I then sanded off the coating on the cans and welded on a coat hanger.
I burnt through the first one its real easy to do. The second one worked much better.
metalflowers007.jpg

I then spray painted the inside first red.
Let it dry and then turn it upside down and spray it with black, I then hit it with a little bit of blue to give it a bit more definition. It looks like there are holes in the side but its just that paint was wet and a reflection off the flash on the camera.
metalflowers013.jpg

metalflowers012.jpg

And for the price of a can of beans you have a flower. I am going to make a lot of them and see how they look in mass.

/ Raising metal hollowing stump #3  
Thanks! That was an excellent and informative post. Well documented and explained!

/ Raising metal hollowing stump
Thanks for the great feedback!!! Its a tool that when you have it you use it, or you find things to use it on.
You could always combine this with raising stakes or even a ball hitch to make different forms or shapes.
Since these flowers are so thin I didnt have to anneal them, but If I was going to make them out of say thicker copper I would have.