Rambling on about PHD...

/ Rambling on about PHD... #1  

mwemaxxowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 1880 with FEL and canopy
Hey y'all. I recently acquired a nearly new Bush Hog post hole digger for compact tractors. I work for a concrete and grading company, and an old customer called us to come auger in some post holes for her fence with our skid steer.

I got there, and realized that she had a BX tractor just like mine and a 3 point PHD. She got the auger stuck in the first hole and tried to back it out with a flimsy metal rod that just wrapped around the bit.

She said it was the second time she'd used it, she was fed up, and was "Ready to just GIVE it away..."

I said well I'll take it! Then she backed up a little bit. We agreed on $400 for the auger with 2 bits.

I just finally got it together and hung on my tractor, and drilled a few test holes. Man this beats the 2 stroke 1 man auger I've been using!!

Bear in mind that I have little experience with 3 point mounted post hole diggers. I've always used a 2 stroke auger or a skid steer mounted auger. I know and understand the limitations of the PTO augers.

I've been looking at rock bits or bolt on rock cutters, but they're crazy expensive for something I would probably hardly ever use. I currently have the spiral type point on the 9" bit I'll use most, but I'd like to also get the "fish tail" type. I understand that they are slower to bore but less likely to suck the bit down. I'd like any and all advice or recommendations on bolt on cutters and points that may be available for PHD bits that I can use for different situations. I'm lucky that where I live I won't often be working on rocky ground.

I'm also looking at downforce kits. Again something pretty expensive for something that I may not need frequently. I could possibly DIY something, but I wonder if I were to set my PHD to mount on my quick hitch, if I could use my hydraulic top link on the quick hitch to add some down force.

On the topic of downforce, most of the kits I see mention around 500 lbs of downforce. Has anybody simply set one up to hang weights on? Either suitcase weights or gym weights designed to go on a barbell?

I set my 3ph up to go down very slowly with the knob on my tractor, and on my test holes I didn't have much trouble with the bit sucking itself down or being hard to lift out. I have a large pipe wrench which I'll keep with me and a pipe to slip over the handle when I auger in unknown ground.

20231204_163034.jpg

Just hoping to pick the hive mind here and see what folks have done that was successful, and what information I can get on cutters and tips. When I look them up the descriptions aren't too helpful in telling me what sort of situation each one is designed for.

/ Rambling on about PHD... #2  
My down pressure is my digging bar slipped along the side with me hanging on it. Always works. Just make sure your digging teeth are in decent shape and it will dig.

/ Rambling on about PHD...
My down pressure is my digging bar slipped along the side with me hanging on it. Always works. Just make sure your digging teeth are in decent shape and it will dig.
How do you accomplish that and still operate the 3ph controls?

/ Rambling on about PHD... #4  
I am following because i am interested in the bolt on rock cutters mainly.
They hydraulic phd I have came with maybe 75 lb weight but I think that is to counterbalance the hydraulic motor that extends 8 or so inches on the opposite side

/ Rambling on about PHD... #5  
How do you accomplish that and still operate the 3ph controls?
I can press a button to allow me to leave my seat. So I turn on the pto, lower the 3pt, press button and step around and pull the auger into the ground. Once the hole is near done, I get back in the seat and pull up the 3pt and turn off the pto.

Or have a helper, PHD certainly doesn’t need a PhD to operate :). Someone in the seat to turn off/on the pto.

/ Rambling on about PHD... #6  
Rock bits and tips are expensive. Personally, I would just go with what you currently have since it's working for you.

I am not familiar with down pressure kits for 3 point, but it sure sounds like it could increase the chance of corkscrewing the auger. I've done my split rail fence twice in the past 25 years... The second round I went the route of a hydraulic fel mounted auger. It was a night and day difference with down pressure and reversing the auger.

Yep. I run a skid steer mounted auger at work and it's definitely the cat's meow.

I don't have access to that for personal use and side jobs though.

I think the down pressure kit is a tremendous help when you're trying to bore into hard ground.

I don't love the idea of trying to hang off the PHD and operate the 3ph from the ground because I wouldn't be able to try to raise it to prevent it screwing down and getting stuck. Might happen so fast you can't do much about it anyway though, not sure. Sounds like it works from someone who's drilled a lot more than I have!

If I'm in ground where I'm having trouble getting it to dig, there's probably not much danger of it screwing itself out of sight and stalling the tractor anyway.

/ Rambling on about PHD... #8  
Yep. I run a skid steer mounted auger at work and it's definitely the cat's meow.

I don't have access to that for personal use and side jobs though.

I think the down pressure kit is a tremendous help when you're trying to bore into hard ground.

I don't love the idea of trying to hang off the PHD and operate the 3ph from the ground because I wouldn't be able to try to raise it to prevent it screwing down and getting stuck. Might happen so fast you can't do much about it anyway though, not sure. Sounds like it works from someone who's drilled a lot more than I have!

If I'm in ground where I'm having trouble getting it to dig, there's probably not much danger of it screwing itself out of sight and stalling the tractor anyway.
Yup, if You need down pressure than there is no fear of it getting stuck. You should also have a shear pin somewhere in that setup if it grabs hard enough to stall the tractor.

And this might help

That page is a big help!

I also found this. It's a PDF file by pengo with descriptions on bits, tips, and what they're intended for.

I'm not sure if my big takes Pengo parts or not, but either way I can look through to see what certain designs are intended to do, and use that to help me find the best tips and cutters for the task if I ever have a specific need.

/ Rambling on about PHD... #10  
Like my Worksaver down force kit, makes a difference when you have a sandstone layer underground. As far as corkscrewing, watch out for tree roots, the flute can go right under a root and down goes the auger! And nothing like hitting a wet clay pocket and not having any material come up and then not having enough lift to raise out of the hole quick enough! Had to rev up a bit and slowly lift auger as it wallowed out the hole a bit.