Ramp Door capacity

/ Ramp Door capacity #1  

Blue Mule

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 40
I have a new 8.5x24' enclosed trailer. Lark United Manufacturing is the brand. GVWR is 9,990. Twin 5,200 lb. axles. It was advertised as a "car hauler".

I cannot locate the weight capacity of the rear ramp door anywhere. One would assume that the ramp door would support at minimum the same weight as the payload rating of the trailer but I need confirmation of this. I loaded my Workmaster 40 into the trailer and the ramp door started making horrible noise. Popping and cracking like a bowl of Rice Crispies. The tractor has a listed weight of around 3,000 lbs. Loader is what, 900 more lbs? 400 or so more for the box blade? So 4,300 lbs. total weight, which is WELL within the payload capacity of the trailer. But the ramp door sounds like it's about to snap in half (although it doesn't, and there is no visible bowing or damage to it).

Anybody know what these typical box trailers can handle at the rear doors?

/ Ramp Door capacity #2  
Can't answer specifically but half the car will generally be on the ramp at any given time. Tractors etc are probably placing their full weight on the ramp. A theory anyway.

/ Ramp Door capacity #3  
They’re not very beefy. I’ve never been brave enough to try anything besides a lawnmower in mine.

/ Ramp Door capacity #4  
I think I'd lay 2"x10" boards down to match the tire tracks if I was trying to load a car or tractor. Same as above, I've never loaded anything heavier than a lawn mower in mine. But I've had this same concern and often wondered how that gate, made of plywood and thin metal skin, would stand up to a heavy vehicle.

Last edited:
   / Ramp Door capacity #5  
I've seen skid-steers go up them at least once on theft videos :)

/ Ramp Door capacity #6  
I can only tell you about my experience. I had a custom built Diamond enclosed trailer. It was 7 x 16 and the rear door opening was made with 84" clearance on the height. It had 2 5200# torsion axles and a ramp door. I had all the wall, ceiling and floor supports spec'd at 16"o.c. rather than at the standard 24"o.c. build. I had to have the ramp beefed up to handle 4500#. They told me the standard was 1500#, an upgrade was 2500#. Now this just may be how Diamond handles things. But I think I would be very cautious about making assumptions on what a ramp can handle based on total trailer weight capacity.

/ Ramp Door capacity
Hmmm.. Well that would be pretty useless then, wouldn't it? A car hauler rated to carry 6,500 lbs. but only able to support 1,500 lbs. at the ramp door.

My first question to the manufacturer would be, how the h*** am I supposed to get the car IN the trailer?

I've been trying to contact Lark Manufacturing for specifics, but of course, like most south Georgia trailer sweatshops, they aren't responding.

/ Ramp Door capacity #8  
Hmmm.. Well that would be pretty useless then, wouldn't it? A car hauler rated to carry 6,500 lbs. but only able to support 1,500 lbs. at the ramp door.

My first question to the manufacturer would be, how the h*** am I supposed to get the car IN the trailer?

I've been trying to contact Lark Manufacturing for specifics, but of course, like most south Georgia trailer sweatshops, they aren't responding.

It’s probably 1500 pounds per axel which would load some cars. If it was upgraded to 2500 pounds per axel you could load most cars. Bottom line is light duty covered trailers aren’t meant to haul equipment.

/ Ramp Door capacity #9  
I've seen skid-steers go up them at least once on theft videos :)
Saw the same video I think....trailer didn't end up making it very far.

I wouldn't want to make a habit of driving a tractor up and down one of those...heck I wouldn't make a habit of driving a car in and out. I think it's more of a way to identify the style of trailer than it is a description of actual purpose.

/ Ramp Door capacity #10  
Saw the same video I think....trailer didn't end up making it very far.

I wouldn't want to make a habit of driving a tractor up and down one of those...heck I wouldn't make a habit of driving a car in and out. I think it's more of a way to identify the style of trailer than it is a description of actual purpose.

A car couldn’t clear the sides by much. Getting out must be fun if not impossible.