Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #261  
This thread exposes some serious issues with people.

And to think it just started with a simple lack of respect for others property.

I'd like to take the thought further. It started with governments taxing citizens to the point of poorer people feeling hopeless.

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #262  
I'd like to take the thought further. It started with governments taxing citizens to the point of poorer people feeling hopeless.

Do you really think so? During the depression there were a lot of poor people who didn't feel justified in breaking into the local retail establishments and helping themselves. I don't know a lot about Canada, but here in the states there are a lot of programs for poor people, and the working poor even get something called "earned income credit", which means they get more money "refunded" from their taxes than they actually paid in.

Being poor is no excuse to break into stores and steal merchandise, or to riot and destroy other people's property. And I look at what's been going on in Seattle and Portland and I seriously doubt that many of those young, white rioters are from poor families.

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #263  
Let's pretend the last looting incident wasn't provoked by a guy with a knife taking 14 bullets.

btw, What store was looted in your town last week and why? Bad neighbors??

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #264  
OK, I'll bite. Explain how the shooting justifies breaking into Wal Mart and stealing big screen TV's.

And what does your second sentence have to do with what I posted? Am I supposed to accept looting just because it occurs in Philly instead of Knoxville?

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #265  
An open question you're free to take personally,esp if you think looting is common and that all protesters are out for that. Helps too if you believe cops have a license to kill w/o due process, and/or that 'good people' should assume that role in their absence.

From the 'middle', I don't ascribe traits of either party's outliers to all their members. Radicals support the left and fascists support the right. That doesn't let me label either as such by the small percent of either party that's heard the most. And nobody should be surprised that the media are complicit in fanning the flames of social discord by, as usual, trying to 'out-scoop' each other to get share and ad revenue.

Fortunately, though my neighbors are a mix politically we're close enough not to let our political discussions go beyond the many things we agree on. What sucks is when politics could become as contentious as 'claim-jumping' like where this thread began.

btw, I can't get over thinking that while we will soon vote nationally so many of us are thinking 'locally', the world we see day to day vs what someone else does. There are reds in the city and blues in the country. Being a good neighbor or bad doesn't discriminate by race, ethnicity, culture, religion, gender, etc. As they say, "You is or you ain't".

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #266  
Memphis is actually one of the worst cities I've visited. It has it's good areas. But seems to be more run down for the most part. It's like they started the urban renewal and stopped partway through. So you have really nice spots surrounded by really rough and dumpy areas. I get the impression that your 1 exit away from disaster when traveling around there.

Quite a few areas seem to lack amenities as well. You have to travel for restaraunts and food. And in my case, I may have to work there for a few days, so decent food close by to my hotel is important.

The hotels on the south side are suspect at best. And the few decent ones can't handle a service truck, or are booked up for months on end. So I actually stay across the border in Mississippi. Decent hotels and plenty of food options close by.

Corky's BBQ and Ribs.... Never go through Memphis without hitting one of those... :licking:

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #267  
An open question you're free to take personally,esp if you think looting is common and that all protesters are out for that. Helps too if you believe cops have a license to kill w/o due process, and/or that 'good people' should assume that role in their absence.

From the 'middle', I don't ascribe traits of either party's outliers to all their members. Radicals support the left and fascists support the right. That doesn't let me label either as such by the small percent of either party that's heard the most. And nobody should be surprised that the media are complicit in fanning the flames of social discord by, as usual, trying to 'out-scoop' each other to get share and ad revenue.

Fortunately, though my neighbors are a mix politically we're close enough not to let our political discussions go beyond the many things we agree on. What sucks is when politics could become as contentious as 'claim-jumping' like where this thread began.

btw, I can't get over thinking that while we will soon vote nationally so many of us are thinking 'locally', the world we see day to day vs what someone else does. There are reds in the city and blues in the country. Being a good neighbor or bad doesn't discriminate by race, ethnicity, culture, religion, gender, etc. As they say, "You is or you ain't".

:drink: Making sense around these parts will get you crucified... But I agree with you.

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #268  
Corky's BBQ and Ribs.... Never go through Memphis without hitting one of those... :licking:
Yeah, they are good. They sell their sauces at the grocery stores here. I'm partial to the apple butter BBQ sauce myself

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #269  
When I go thru Memphis, I try not to stop or stay anywhere close. Although have visited BBKings a few times, but it痴 scary walking from the urine smelling parking garage right behind it.

Years ago I was driving from Little Rock down to Baton Rouge; hotter than the hinges on the gates of h*ll, and I picked a hole in the wall convenience store 30 miles from bum^%$# to grab something to drink. I think I was just across the river from Natchez, MS. Anyway, I walked into this place and there were 3 or 4 guys sitting at a counter drinking beer and I nodded my head and walked to the back to grab a couple of Gatoraids. By the time I came back upfront they were standing by the door wanting to discuss my presence in THEIR place. They obviously had been there a few hours and none were brave enough without the others to start something. I apologized for darkening THEIR door, offered to buy them a round and skidaddled out of there. Trust me... I have had the same thing happen in Philly, Baltimore, upstate NY, low country SC, and anywhere in between. A holes are A holes... It's what they do. I don't think geography plays any part...

/ Ran into one of my territorial neighbor's posts #270  
Yeah, they are good. They sell their sauces at the grocery stores here. I'm partial to the apple butter BBQ sauce myself

See... we do have something in common we can agree on... Maybe we can build on that. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.