Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST

/ Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST #1  

pat32rf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4300
Got home today to find that my tenant had been using the drag on the driveway. Fabulous results BUT now it stays in low range. Looks like the control shaft that goes into the gearbox has sheared off, letting the linkage fall free. Cannot find any pictures to cover this in the shop manual......

/ Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST #2  
Got home today to find that my tenant had been using the drag on the driveway. Fabulous results BUT now it stays in low range. Looks like the control shaft that goes into the gearbox has sheared off, letting the linkage fall free. Cannot find any pictures to cover this in the shop manual......
I had a problems with mine. Turns out the the shaft freezes in the case. And the seal is on the inside of the transmission housing. While you got it apart, lube the draft linkage that goes from the top of the rocker shaft into the housing also that will be the next to break. They both rust from the outside in.

/ Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST #3  
I just replaced the diff lock in a 4300. Had to pull the right final drive and top off the transmission. To replace the range selector shaft I'm not sure if you would have to split the tractor. You could get a good view taking the top off (rock shaft assembly). I wish I would have taken some more pics, nothing I have shows the range selector. In any case good luck!

/ Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST #4  
You can get to it by taking the top off.

/ Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST #5  
Because I have the same 4300 HST, am interested in the fix. jdparts shows the lever connections that have a spring (roll) pin in each end of the shaft (key#18). Maybe one or the other are sheared off. One may be external (I have not looked at mine).

I just recently sheared off the roll pin on my PTO control lever. Was an easy fix, but surprised that I could shear that pin.

Attachments

• 4300_range_lever.jpg
    4300_range_lever.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 182
   / Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST
amazing that that 1/4" linkage could shear that half inch shaft inside the housing....but there are a few other spots that JD didn't lube as well.....
So Olsen has a way to replace the shaft without splitting the tractor? A DIY method (hopefully)

/ Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST #7  
So pat, you know that the 1/2" shaft is sheared?

The spring pin that I sheared on the PTO clutch shaft was F7125020HBK, which is the same pin shown Key#47 on the range lever. That pin is 5/32" diam.
Could be that it is designed to shear so that something else doesn't fail when the lever is pushed/pulled too hard.

The tenant may have figured forcing a range change when the gears didn't line up was the way to proceed.
Just a wild guess...

/ Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST #8  
Sorry guys my bad! Now that I think about it might have been the PTO and draft. No need to split the tractor for those. Again, sorry.

/ Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST #9  
pat32rf has not checked back in, but I took a look at my 4300 to see where it connects to the transmission. Left side, and this pic shows the spring (roll) pin that could be sheared (but looks like a 1/4" pin so would doubt that it sheared).
Could be checked out to see if it is still turning the shaft that goes on into the tranny. Easy fix if it just this sheared pin.

Attachments

• 4300_range_shifter.jpg
    4300_range_shifter.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 232
   / Range shift linkage fell out of 4300HST
Afraid that it is the shift shaft(#18) that has sheared. The end cap that connects to the external linkage was hanging from the linkage. It has about 1/2" of 1/2" shaft sticking out of it. This shaft fits into a hole in the side of the housing and definitely looks broken. I talked to a local equipment repair place who seemed to know exactly what the problem was and how to fix it. I go to the dealer (110km trip) to look at their parts book on monday.
If anyone has a part number that I could toss the parts girl it might simplify things....